+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help!! asking for extension but missed a year of studies while I kept working. What to do?

Clueless_1998

Jul 18, 2019
I need urgent advice. My study permit expires on July 31, 2019. I tried studying in Edmonton something I didn't like just to stay in Canada. The first semester was not bad. I qualified for the Soccer team. Just before the Provincial games, my toe was fracture during practice. Then a series of adaptation, personal and family mental/medical problems and family members being persecuted at my country caused me to isolate and feel depressed and not to study. I told the counselor and the program's assistant that I wanted to take a year off. I didn't contact immigration. I left Canada and spent 2.5 months in Florida. I came back to Vancouver and reclused myself from family and friends. I started to work to support myself. I do have a work permit, but the conditions are to work while studying. Recently I found a program that I really like at LaSalle and I started the program on July 8, 2019, I started with the condition of presenting my request for an extension. I have an admission letter to the program and completed all the required documentation. But, What do I write in the explanation letter? Also in one of the forms, they asked if you have broken any of the study permit conditions. Please help. (I hope this thread is in the right location)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I need urgent advice. My study permit expires on July 31, 2019. I tried studying in Edmonton something I didn't like just to stay in Canada. The first semester was not bad. I qualified for the Soccer team. Just before the Provincial games, my toe was fracture during practice. Then a series of adaptation, personal and family mental/medical problems and family members being persecuted at my country caused me to isolate and feel depressed and not to study. I told the counselor and the program's assistant that I wanted to take a year off. I didn't contact immigration. I left Canada and spent 2.5 months in Florida. I came back to Vancouver and reclused myself from family and friends. I started to work to support myself. I do have a work permit, but the conditions are to work while studying. Recently I found a program that I really like at LaSalle and I started the program on July 8, 2019, I started with the condition of presenting my request for an extension. I have an admission letter to the program and completed all the required documentation. But, What do I write in the explanation letter? Also in one of the forms, they asked if you have broken any of the study permit conditions. Please help. (I hope this thread is in the right location)
Did you have approved leave from your original school? If not you likely don’t have a valid study permit. School are supposed to report you after 90 days if you don’t attend school. You are only allowed to work if you are studying full-time so yes you worked illegally. You will be expected to prove how you supported yourself during the period where you weren’t working. I would consult a lawyer. You have lots of potential problems. You are likely not to qualify for PGWP and you worked illegally. Getting an extension is far from guaranteed. You also ha eta figure out whether you should admit your error and admit that you worked illegally or risk being found out and deal with those consequences.

Are you from a visa exempt country? Were you not questioned after spending 2.5 months in Florida when you were supposed to be studying?

Clueless_1998

Jul 18, 2019
Did you have approved leave from your original school? If not you likely don’t have a valid study permit. School are supposed to report you after 90 days if you don’t attend school. You are only allowed to work if you are studying full-time so yes you worked illegally. You will be expected to prove how you supported yourself during the period where you weren’t working. I would consult a lawyer. You have lots of potential problems. You are likely not to qualify for PGWP and you worked illegally. Getting an extension is far from guaranteed. You also ha eta figure out whether you should admit your error and admit that you worked illegally or risk being found out and deal with those consequences.

Are you from a visa exempt country? Were you not questioned after spending 2.5 months in Florida when you were supposed to be studying?
Thank you for your advice. I don't want to lie and make worse my situation. I talked with advisors at the School in Edmonton and was told that given the circumstances I would benefit from time off from school to sort all issues but I didn't receive a written permit. I'm from Venezuela. I came to study in 2016. My Dad entered Canada as a refugee on Oct. 9, 2018. His claim as Convention refugee was accepted on June 7, 2019. He will include me when he asks for the permanent resident, will that make any change in my situation of asking for extension?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your advice. I don't want to lie and make worse my situation. I talked with advisors at the School in Edmonton and was told that given the circumstances I would benefit from time off from school to sort all issues but I didn't receive a written permit. I'm from Venezuela. I came to study in 2016. My Dad entered Canada as a refugee on Oct. 9, 2018. His claim as Convention refugee was accepted on June 7, 2019. He will include me when he asks for the permanent resident, will that make any change in my situation of asking for extension?
How old are you? You can try for an extension but you should have lost your status already when you didn’t attend school. You may not actually have a valid student permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your study permit is most likely no longer valid and was canceled when you stopped attending classes.

Not much you can do now but try applying for the extension and see what happens. Yes - you must state that you broke study permit conditions by working illegally. You really have no choice but to declare this. If you fail to answer truthfully, you'll be at high risk of a 5 year ban from Canada. You should be honest in the explanation letter - that's always the best policy with IRCC.

Clueless_1998

Jul 18, 2019
How old are you? You can try for an extension but you should have lost your status already when you didn’t attend school. You may not actually have a valid student permit.
I'm 21 as of last May. I'm afraid you are right. When I came back to Canada at the end of November nobody questioned me.
Thanks so much for your answer.

Clueless_1998

Jul 18, 2019
Your study permit is most likely no longer valid and was canceled when you stopped attending classes.

Not much you can do now but try applying for the extension and see what happens. Yes - you must state that you broke study permit conditions by working illegally. You really have no choice but to declare this. If you fail to answer truthfully, you'll be at high risk of a 5 year ban from Canada. You should be honest in the explanation letter - that's always the best policy with IRCC.
I totally agree with you: I can probably defend/explain what happened to me, due to inexperience, but lying may get me nowhere, or as you mentioned banned from Canada. Thanks!