+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help about visas

S.Clancy

Apr 30, 2012
Hi,
I'm from Ireland and currently living in Korea with my Canadian boyfriend. We have been together for a year and a half and living together for a year. I applied for the International Experience Canada Visa but got rejected because I have been away from Ireland for too long. I am really unsure about what steps to take next.

My boyfriend is looking into sponsoring me as his common-law partner. We are working in Korea as English teachers and accommodation is supplied by the school as part of the contract. This means that we do not have any rental receipts or anything in our names sent to our house because everything is done by the school. The school will give us a letter saying we have lived together for a year but I'm not sure if this would be acceptable. Bank accounts are in our own names too as we opened them before we met. We have numerous receipts from holidays that we took together though. My boyfriend is going back to Canada to attend grad school so he won't have a lot of money. Will this affect him sponsoring me? I fully intend to work when I get there. Can I get a 6month holiday visa and apply for other visas while I'm in Canada?

I am not skilled enough in any area to get a company to sponsor me. If anyone has information on the common-law sponsorship visa or any other visas that you could recommend, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you so much.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
S.Clancy said:
Hi,
I'm from Ireland and currently living in Korea with my Canadian boyfriend. We have been together for a year and a half and living together for a year. I applied for the International Experience Canada Visa but got rejected because I have been away from Ireland for too long. I am really unsure about what steps to take next.

My boyfriend is looking into sponsoring me as his common-law partner. We are working in Korea as English teachers and accommodation is supplied by the school as part of the contract. This means that we do not have any rental receipts or anything in our names sent to our house because everything is done by the school. The school will give us a letter saying we have lived together for a year but I'm not sure if this would be acceptable. Bank accounts are in our own names too as we opened them before we met. We have numerous receipts from holidays that we took together though. My boyfriend is going back to Canada to attend grad school so he won't have a lot of money. Will this affect him sponsoring me? I fully intend to work when I get there. Can I get a 6month holiday visa and apply for other visas while I'm in Canada?

I am not skilled enough in any area to get a company to sponsor me. If anyone has information on the common-law sponsorship visa or any other visas that you could recommend, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you so much.
Take a look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp for the detailed instructions and forms you'll need to complete.

Don't worry about not having a lease - the letter from your school, as landlords, would work. There's a variety of evidence you can submit - e-mails, photos, pictures, etc. The key is to show your relationship is beyond that of friends or roommates. If you want to get a glimpse of how they will assess your application, take a look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

S.Clancy

Apr 30, 2012
Thank you so much for the information. I think I will apply from overseas and it might be quicker. How long will it take to comethrough if I apply through the UK? Or does anyone know how to make it go faster? Thanks again

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
You can check processing times on the CIC site.

As for how to speed things up...the best way would be to make sure you application is solid and you have submitted all required forms and supporting documents. It's all a balancing act...too much info might slow things down...too little might slow things down...there is really nothing you can do to speed things up other than that...

FS

S.Clancy

Apr 30, 2012
One more question. My boyfriend is going back to University in Canada so he will not have an income. Will this affect our application? Does he need to support me for three years after I receive the visa?

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Yes, your bf must support you for the first three years. He can still go to university, but he'll have to have some kind of income to be able to support you and him. If he has a good amount of money saved in the bank, and can afford to pay for his tuition and support you guys, no worries.

There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor, but there is a requirement to take care of the permanent resident after landing. You definitely cannot go on any kind of government financial assistance, i.e. welfare.

Or, on the flip-side, if you are working and earning enough to support you guys, then that would be fine....but your bf has signed an agreement with the government to take care of you for three years...so I guess if you were earning money and supporting both you and your bf, the government wouldn't care...just as long as you don't require welfare or some other financial assistance that would be in breach of the undertaking he signed (IMM1344?).

FS

S.Clancy

Apr 30, 2012
Thank you so much. We both have money saved and his mom said she will sign a letter saying that she will support us if anything goes wrong. Thanks again, you are very kind

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
S.Clancy said:
Thank you so much. We both have money saved and his mom said she will sign a letter saying that she will support us if anything goes wrong. Thanks again, you are very kind
His Mom's letter will help. In addition, as your partner describes his/your intent to return to Canada, have him describe where you'll live and how you intend to support yourselves while he is at school, what you'll do, etc. so that the officer reviewing your case sees that you have a plan that will work (which does not rely on welfare).