+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance for the first 3 months

Cloud5

Jan 11, 2024
Hello,
Can you guys recommend an affordable heath insurance to use for the first 3 months before getting provincial insurance? Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I cannot. Just keep in mind that basically you're mostly going to find travellers' insurance intended to cover emergencies and unexpected illness. They often wont' cover chronic conditions, and will practically be of not much use for routine care (like seeing a doctor for a cold). On the positive side, out of pocket costs for minor visits are not that expensive in Canada. Be prepared if you have chronic conditions though.

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Hello,
Can you guys recommend an affordable heath insurance to use for the first 3 months before getting provincial insurance? Thanks.
I would take out insurance! I took out 90 day newcomer insurance with, $50,000 coverage and $100 deductible with Manulife. It was only $250 in 2023. Its not worth the risk not to get it. I thought to my self if she breaks and arm or leg it will cost thousands. Even cutting a finger that requires medical attention will cost you more than a policy.

exquisite

Star Member
May 15, 2009
Check the OHIP eligibility site. Waiting time may actually for less time. In the eligibility section, there is very contradicting info. IE, myst be physically present in Ontario for 153 days immediately after establishing residency in Ontario but literally right after that, it says, there is no waiting period for OHIP. I believe you really only need a proof of residence and you are good to go.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Check the OHIP eligibility site. Waiting time may actually for less time. In the eligibility section, there is very contradicting info. IE, myst be physically present in Ontario for 153 days immediately after establishing residency in Ontario but literally right after that, it says, there is no waiting period for OHIP. I believe you really only need a proof of residence and you are good to go.
There is no waiting period right now: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

The 153 days after residency means this: you are eligible to be covered if you have settled in Ontario and WILL reside in Ontario for the 153 days after settling. If you are arriving to just do soft landing, you are not eligible. If your'e coming for three months before you move to some other province - not eligible. Etc.

If you get OHIP coverage and get treated and then don't reside in the province per the requirements above, they CAN go after you to reimburse amounts spent. I have no idea how frequently they do this, but they can and they do sometimes.