+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance for child

payal1256

Mar 23, 2023
Dear Friends

I intend to apply for Visitor Visa for my 2 month year old while I will be in Canada on Work Visa.
We will be residing in the Province of Alberta.

I wish to know about health insurance requirements in Canada for my child.

I have heard that without insurance, healthcare is very very expensive in Canada.

Please guide me in this regard.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Friends

I intend to apply for Visitor Visa for my 2 month year old while I will be in Canada on Work Visa.
We will be residing in the Province of Alberta.

I wish to know about health insurance requirements in Canada for my child.

I have heard that without insurance, healthcare is very very expensive in Canada.

Please guide me in this regard.

Thanks
2 months or 2 years? When did you apply for the WP and did you mention you were pregnant or had a child when applying? Do you have the approved WP? If your child is 2 did you indicate when you applied for your WP that your family would join you in Canada? If your child is able to get a TRV she will have access to public healthcare in Canada through your full-time employment which is around 75% Medicare. Will you have the ability to join an extended health policy through your employer. The bigger issue is that you will have to show that you have the additional funds to care a child who will need childcare while you work. There are often long wait list for a spot in childcare especially the more affordable one. You will have to show that you have extra funds for a larger home or typically a home for only your family or your family and other people you know well. You will have to show that you have the extra funds to provide for food, diapers, formula if you use it, etc. and furnish you home that is suitable for a child and get a stroller, warm clothes, etc. Are you the only income earner in your family it is very tough to survive with kids on a single income in Canada but especially if you income is relatively low.

sidpadki

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Hi,

I am a PR working in Ontario with a full time job. My wife (also a PR) and my daughter is 1 year old (she is on TRV) will be joining in Canada in June

Will my daughter be elligible for ontario immunization? Do i have to pay out of my own pocket ? I have manulife medical insurance benefit from my employment and I have added my wife and daughter to the benefit plan

Please do let me know

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am a PR working in Ontario with a full time job. My wife (also a PR) and my daughter is 1 year old (she is on TRV) will be joining in Canada in June

Will my daughter be elligible for ontario immunization? Do i have to pay out of my own pocket ? I have manulife medical insurance benefit from my employment and I have added my wife and daughter to the benefit plan

Please do let me know
You will pay out of pocket until your child has PR.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Will my employer's medical benefit not cover this cost? I am also planning to buy a private medical insurance for my daughter till the time he PR is approved
You will have to look at the company health insurance policy as every company is different. Many do not cover care that is usually paid through OHIP. Contact the health unit for immunization clinics if you don’t have a family doctor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Will my employer's medical benefit not cover this cost? I am also planning to buy a private medical insurance for my daughter till the time he PR is approved
Most likely your company's medical benefits will not cover your child. Generally speaking, these plans only cover individuals who are already covered under OHIP and they only cover costs not covered under OHIP. You will need to call them.