+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Emergency While Waiting For PR

cometSuicide

Jan 19, 2015
Hi everyone, I seem to have a bit of a problem.

About two months ago I finally broke down after a bad episode of the stomach pain I've been experiencing while living my required year with my sponsor. I found out I have gallstones and my gallbladder needs to come out. We were hoping it could wait, but it cannot. I'm very sick, I've lost 60lbs, am malnourished, and constantly in pain. The surgery is going to cost $3,800 bare minimum to have it done, and we just don't have the money. I've begged and pleaded with my family back home to help out but it's not looking promising. I can't go on being this ill.. is there anything I can do? Are there any programs available to PR applications in emergency situations?

I also apologize if this doesn't quite fit in this section, I wasn't sure where else to put it.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cometSuicide said:
Hi everyone, I seem to have a bit of a problem.

About two months ago I finally broke down after a bad episode of the stomach pain I've been experiencing while living my required year with my sponsor. I found out I have gallstones and my gallbladder needs to come out. We were hoping it could wait, but it cannot. I'm very sick, I've lost 60lbs, am malnourished, and constantly in pain. The surgery is going to cost $3,800 bare minimum to have it done, and we just don't have the money. I've begged and pleaded with my family back home to help out but it's not looking promising. I can't go on being this ill.. is there anything I can do? Are there any programs available to PR applications in emergency situations?

I also apologize if this doesn't quite fit in this section, I wasn't sure where else to put it.
Sorry to hear about your health situation. Can you clarify, are you living the required year in order to become common-law with your future sponsor, you are on a visitor status and thus don't have the medical insurance or is it a different case?
If this is the case, you can get married and thus apply for PR immediately. Also what province do you live at? Health coverage rules are different among different provinces.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cometSuicide said:
I've spent my year with my common-law GF and as of 10/27 we submitted the PR package. I'm in Ontario.
If you already submitted your application you can send a letter to CIC and request to expedite your application based on your unique health situation.
Extensive health demand is not an inadmissibility issue for spousal applications so you don't have to worry you will be rejected because of it. But it will be to the CIC officer discretion whether to expedite your application or not...

Also, was it inland or outland application? Although i believe that work permit for Inland application does not make you eligible for health insurance in Ontario, you may want to check on this path...Maybe someone else can comment on this.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
cometSuicide said:
I've spent my year with my common-law GF and as of 10/27 we submitted the PR package. I'm in Ontario.
Ohip coverage does not begin until 3 months after AIP is reached.

cometSuicide

Jan 19, 2015
sashali78 said:
If you already submitted your application you can send a letter to CIC and request to expedite your application based on your unique health situation.
Extensive health demand is not an inadmissibility issue for spousal applications so you don't have to worry you will be rejected because of it. But it will be to the CIC officer discretion whether to expedite your application or not...

Also, was it inland or outland application? Although i believe that work permit for Inland application does not make you eligible for health insurance in Ontario, you may want to check on this path...Maybe someone else can comment on this.
It was inland. The article I read about work permits while waiting for PR approval is that they do come with temporary health coverage but it can take up to four months to reach that stage.

IrisSphere

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima, Peru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2015
AOR Received.
30-09-2015
File Transfer...
14-10-2015 AOR2 20-10-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront 06-18-2015
Passport Req..
28-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-11-2015
LANDED..........
10-11-2015
I am not sure if you'd qualify, but Ontario has Community Health Centres that might be able to assist those without a health card.. It's worth to ask. I'm sorry you're going through this.

http://settlement.org/ontario/health/community-and-public-health/public-and-community-health/what-are-community-health-centres/

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
cometSuicide said:
It was inland. The article I read about work permits while waiting for PR approval is that they do come with temporary health coverage but it can take up to four months to reach that stage.
Plus you would need to wait additional 3 months of a waiting period time, even after becoming eligible (assuming OWP after 4 months qualifies you to apply for OHIP of which people are experiencing different results).

Did you not get any private travel medical insurance during your time with no OHIP coverage?

Unfortunately OHIP is one of the most stringent in Canada when it comes to giving out coverage. Hospitals will demand an upfront payment or deposit before touching anyone with no coverage. I would plan for the most realistic possibility that if you want anything done in the next 8+ months or so, you will need to pay out of pocket for it.