+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health care on a tourist visa

Riggers

Dec 15, 2023
Hello,

I have a current job offer in Alberta and I am due to start work on a work visa in February. However, my wife and 2 kids are coming over with me for a few months to start before returning to the UK and then coming back out permanently later on.

my question is, if one of the kids or my wife need medical help whilst over in Canada with me, are they entitled to health care on their tourist visas? If not what is the process?
Thank you.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello,

I have a current job offer in Alberta and I am due to start work on a work visa in February. However, my wife and 2 kids are coming over with me for a few months to start before returning to the UK and then coming back out permanently later on.

my question is, if one of the kids or my wife need medical help whilst over in Canada with me, are they entitled to health care on their tourist visas? If not what is the process?
Thank you.
They are not entitled in healthcare as tourists. You need to get your own insurance for them. Same as tourists going to the UK, the NHS won't cover them either..
You will be on a work visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you.
They would be entitled to healthcare in Alberta if you are working IF they made Alberta their permanent home and will/are scheduled to live in Alberta for the next 12 months. It sounds as though your should take out emergency travel medical insurance for their first stay in Canada and then apply for AHS when they permanently move to Canada to live with you. Every province has their own healthcare system and eligibility and residency requirements. Somewhat like the UK where the NHS is different depending on whether you live in England, Wales, Scotland, etc. There are bigger differences in Canada between the healthcare systems in each provinces and each province has their own names for their health system and their own cards. When you move to a new province you need to apply for a new health card. It gets a bit complicated if you recently moved to a province and then want to move to another province but as long as you spend over 3 months in the first province you are typically fine to move to the new province and qualify for public healthcare throughout the whole period of time. If you are visiting another province and get sick you should be able to use your health card from the other province to get access to healthcare in the province you are visiting.