+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

having problems with working visa from inside canada!

Smithy1988

Nov 4, 2009
Me and my girl friend have both come over from the UK and we were lead to believe that you needed an employer before you could get your temporary working visa! We went through all the checks and we passed everything but now we're in Canada and don't know what to do! i have a very good job opportunity and would like to know the best way to go about it for both me and her to apply form inside canada! please help!
Kind regards!
Smith!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Smithy1988 said:
Me and my girl friend have both come over from the UK and we were lead to believe that you needed an employer before you could get your temporary working visa! We went through all the checks and we passed everything but now we're in Canada and don't know what to do! i have a very good job opportunity and would like to know the best way to go about it for both me and her to apply form inside canada! please help!
Kind regards!
Smith!
If you are applying for work permit as a foreign worker, you file your application to an embassy/consulate office outside of Canada. Find an employer who's willing to apply for a Labour Market Opinion for you. Your prospective employer must show proof that he/she has tried to recruit Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.

For your prospective employer:
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/temp_workers.shtml

For the foreign worker:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-how.asp

There are other avenues for citizens of the UK but I am not familiar with that one. You can also apply via the PNP program/skilled workers' category. cic.gc.ca has most of the information you need.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Smithy1988 said:
Kind regards!
Smith!
If you were under 30 you could have applied for a 1 year open work permit through BUNAC. Otherwise you need an employer to obtain a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC (not easy) as the employer has to advertise on the Job Bank and show that there were no Canadians available for the work. If approved, you have to obtain your work permit outside Canada.

PMM

Smithy1988

Nov 4, 2009
thank you both for your time, you've been a great help, but we have soon realised that the temporary working visa may not be what we are looking for but instead the working holiday visa!!! could anyone give us any help on this!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Smithy1988 said:
thank you both for your time, you've been a great help, but we have soon realised that the temporary working visa may not be what we are looking for but instead the working holiday visa!!! could anyone give us any help on this!
Google is your friend, query BUNAC

PMM

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Depending where you are in Canada...if you live near the border and get a job offer and positive LMO you can 'flagpole' at the border....leave Canada turn around at the US border and re enter Canada and get your WP. This is what i did....took half an hour and 150 dollars. As you are British and do not need a visitor visa....it is possible to obtain a WP that way.

But you do need a LMO and job offer first.....thats the important bit.

Smithy1988

Nov 4, 2009
Depending where you are in Canada...if you live near the border and get a job offer and positive LMO you can 'flagpole' at the border....leave Canada turn around at the US border and re enter Canada and get your WP. This is what i did....took half an hour and 150 dollars. As you are British and do not need a visitor visa....it is possible to obtain a WP that way.

/quote]

Brilliant!!!! that really does help! thank you!

but still, is there any other way to achieve a holiday visa whilst in canada?? this will enable us to do different types of work and not just the one job.
Regards.
Smith

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Smithy1988 said:

/quote]

Brilliant!!!! that really does help! thank you!

but still, is there any other way to achieve a holiday visa whilst in canada?? this will enable us to do different types of work and not just the one job.
Regards.
Smith
Info on "youth programs". But I think you still have to get the visa from the UK.

http://www.international.gc.ca/iyp-pij/index.aspx?lang=eng

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/work-travail/ym_uk-mj_ru.aspx?lang=eng