+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having PR, query on how long can be the gap in permanently moving after doing 1st landing.

canadian_raj

Jul 1, 2019
Hi Members,

I have the following query.

I applied for PR under Express entry, got my ITA last year and did my 1st landing in Vancouver in Dec'18 (to finish 'record of landing' for PR). At the Passport Control, I told the office that I am currently here to do 1st landing and will be moving to Canada in coming year or so, as I am yet to plan and wrap up from US (where I work currently), and will inform about the 'list of belongings' I am bringing, when I am moving permanently. Officer was okay with that.

I have few followup questions on my situation:

1. I understand that I need to be in Canada for at least 2 years out of 5 years from the time I have got my PR to maintain my PR. As I landed in Dec'18 as part of securing my PR, (and planning to move in mid onwards of 2020), how long can be the delay in terms of me actually moving permanently, and still be able to bring my belongings without any tax implications. Is there a limit of moving within 1 year from the time my PR has started ?

2. A followup on 1st. Before I permanently move to Canada which I am slating by mid of 2020, I will be required to pay a 3-4 day visit in Canada for attending family wedding in Jan'20. Will it still be okay that I come to Canada based on my PR for a 3-4 day visit and not moving permanently then also (thus not providing list of belongings) and finally move in 2020 with list of belongings and be able to bring my belongings from USA without any tax implications ? Is this an acceptable scenario ? If not, any other way possible ?

Please let me know if I can provide further information to clarify.

Thanks for your help!

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
1. You have 3 years. If you move after 3 years, you will not be able to maintain residency obligation of 2 in 5. You can still import your belongings duty free under 'settler' tariff.
2. That's fine.

Reactions: canadian_raj