+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having foreign partner visit you in Canada + Common law visa application

Feb 20, 2020
Hi there! I am just enquiring about my situation and hoping someone can help! I am Canadian and my girlfriend is from Europe. We have been together for 2 years now but unfortunately we have had gaps apart so have not had 12 consecutive months to classify as common law.

We are in Europe now and after 6 months plan to come back to Canada for the other 6 months, then apply for common law. I'm wondering 2 things:

1. From what I've read, being my partner, she is allowed to come to Canads to visit (but for how long?)

2. Assuming 6 months is allowed and we can complete our 12 consecutive months, are common law visa applications for permanent residence still being processed? Or are they haunted or severely delayed with the pandemic?

Thanks for any advice!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So the girlfriend is from Europe so does she already have an ETA being visa exempt ? Having a ETA already would be part way there to visiting. As for timing who knows whether travel restrictions may eased in the next 6 months given they seem to be renewing the restrictions on a month by month basis for both International and US travel into the country.

1)You would need to follow the extended family route (IM0006 form) and persuade IRCC that you are in an exclusive relationship. There is no way to predict in advance how long anyone can stay although generally a 6 month default can be normal there is no way to know how COVID might or not impact that assumption at the POE

2)PR applications are still being processed albeit taking longer so even if she comes in for 6 months you should expect maybe to have to extend initially. If you apply for an inland spouse sponsorship once common law then of course can apply for a work permit at the same time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
So the girlfriend is from Europe so does she already have an ETA being visa exempt ? Having a ETA already would be part way there to visiting. As for timing who knows whether travel restrictions may eased in the next 6 months given they seem to be renewing the restrictions on a month by month basis for both International and US travel into the country.

1)You would need to follow the extended family route (IM0006 form) and persuade IRCC that you are in an exclusive relationship. There is no way to predict in advance how long anyone can stay although generally a 6 month default can be normal there is no way to know how COVID might or not impact that assumption at the POE

2)PR applications are still being processed albeit taking longer so even if she comes in for 6 months you should expect maybe to have to extend initially. If you apply for an inland spouse sponsorship once common law then of course can apply for a work permit at the same time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#extended
Thank you for the reply!! She does have a valid ETA but has already used her open work visa in Canada. (Not sure if that matters). But it is still valid for a couple more years.

I will have a look at that form - thanks for that. And with convincing IRCC, how long is it generally to get an answer back?

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated!