+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have working visa, want to become permanent resident.

angel2257

Jan 26, 2008
I am German and living in Canada with a working visa that runs out in June. I have been living here with my girlfriend since I got here in June of 2007 and she is a Canadian. When can I apply for permanent residency? What do I do first? I am working full time and I dont want to disrupt my work.
Thanks,
Tim

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
If you get married, your partner can apply to sponsor you immediately.

If you choose not to get married, you'll need to have lived together 12 consecutive months - which I guess is sometime in June 2008 - before she can sponsor you as her common-law partner.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

angel2257

Jan 26, 2008
Can we start the process now, so that I dont lose the right to work in Canada in june? I dont want to disrupt my job and I am not sure I am ready for marriage just yet. Im 20
Thanks Tim

angel2257

Jan 26, 2008
I am working fulltime, we have bought a house together and it is in both our names , all our bills are in both names, we have investments together and a bank account. I am very fluent in both English and German and I have a little french. Without getting married is there anything else we can do to make this process easier? We started living together in Canada in 2006 for three months and then I had to go back to Germany and then she came to Germany to live for two months in april -may 2007 and I came back with her to Canada in June. Can we use any of this as part of the year together? Sorry for the double post.
Thanks Tim

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

angel2257 said:
I am working fulltime, we have bought a house together and it is in both our names , all our bills are in both names, we have investments together and a bank account. I am very fluent in both English and German and I have a little french. Without getting married is there anything else we can do to make this process easier? We started living together in Canada in 2006 for three months and then I had to go back to Germany and then she came to Germany to live for two months in april -may 2007 and I came back with her to Canada in June. Can we use any of this as part of the year together? Sorry for the double post.
Thanks Tim
No, it has to be 12 continuous months.

PMM

angel2257

Jan 26, 2008
Can I apply for another working visa for the job I am working on right now, from June till when I get permantent residency? I am on a one year youth mobility work and travel visa now. Is there some other way to stay in Canada in the mean time? Or do I just have to go without work till I get my PR?
Thanks for your help.
Tim

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You'll have to check with that program to see if you can work for longer than a year.

If not, you'll need to get a work permit through the traditional route. Start by finding out whether your job even qualifies. If it does, ask your employer if they're willing to get the necessary approvals.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/temp_workers.shtml

angel2257

Jan 26, 2008
I dont think it qualifies even though the job markets here are open and jobs are plentiful. Im not a skilled labourer - I change tires at a tire place.

angel2257

Jan 26, 2008
angel2257 said:
Can I apply for another working visa for the job I am working on right now, from June till when I get permantent residency? I am on a one year youth mobility work and travel visa now. Is there some other way to stay in Canada in the mean time? Or do I just have to go without work till I get my PR?
Thanks for your help.
Tim