+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have a 2 year study permit but graduated in 1 year

Raymon543

Jan 14, 2018
Hello, I came to Canada on a 2 year study permit. The initial course was 1 and a half years and 4 semesters long (Software-Fast Track) but later, I had some personal issues and hence I had to cut it down to 8 months and 2 Semesters but its the same "Software" program, except the first one was "PG Diploma" and this one is just "Diploma" (because of the reduced subjects, obviously). So, Now that I've successfully completed the course, I have to apply for my PG Work Permit. Will the fact that I changed the duration of my studies result in any problems with my work permit being approved? Thanks for answering !

chlo.eee

Mar 18, 2016
Hi, as far as I know, PGWP is based on the duration of your program. For example, if I took 2 and a half years to complete a 2-year program (official length), I will be considered for 2 years. So it really depends on the program you completed, since the work permit is issued for the length of your study program.

Raymon543

Jan 14, 2018
Hi, as far as I know, PGWP is based on the duration of your program. For example, if I took 2 and a half years to complete a 2-year program (official length), I will be considered for 2 years. So it really depends on the program you completed, since the work permit is issued for the length of your study program.
Thanks for getting back, also is it a problem that I didn't notify the person responsible on reducing to a course of lesser duration than the one I'd intially applied for?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If official length is 1 and a half years on the official graduation certificate you get from college you will be eligible for a 1 and half year PGWP. Expect questions to why you completed it early though.Also, was this all full-time and in a public college?

mobbiewobbie

May 24, 2018
Is this policy the same for courses that are completed quicker than normal also? My advisor is leaving the university so I have to complete a 2 year program in 1 year only (also I finished my research early). Now worried that I wont get the 3 year work permit..