+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone's employer applied for LMIA after January 1st?

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
MONKUCHA said:
So how long did you wait for rejection?
A couple weeks.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
purplesnow said:
God I wish people would stop spreading this 10 day application thing. that LMIA is only for contract positions lasting less than 120 days, its no use to anyone who wants to immigrate.

LMIA process is the same regardless of whether you're going for the free one, or the one that also supports a work permit.
2-5 months processing time.
Also incorrect.

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/reform/restrict.shtml

LMIAs for highest-demand occupations (skilled trades), highest-paid (top 10 percent) occupations or short-duration work periods (120 days or less) will now be provided within a 10-business-day service standard.
The 10-day service standard will also be available to employers requesting temporary foreign workers in the highest-paid occupations – for positions where the employer is offering a wage that is at or above the top 10 percent of wages in the province/territory where the job is located, such as Physicians. This wage level indicates that a temporary foreign worker is the highest-skilled in their occupation and that those skills are not easily found in the Canadian labour market.
Most employers will not qualify. Some (mine included) will. The point is to get people to work faster when there is less need for scrutiny.

Immigration-only applicants (per ESDC) are lower priority, and not eligible for 10 day processing.

pr_positive

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
EE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
My employer did. Application was sent third week of January for a cook (LMIA to support both work permit and permanent residence application). After 3 days, my boss got an email from ESDC requesting some additional documents (third job advertisement, recent tax etc. bla bla... ) and we fax the said papers that day. After a week, my boss got a phone interview with a foreign worker officer from ESDC. March 2 we received two positive LMIA decision. We still have LMIA application that time on going which was sent October 2014 and both were approved same time.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
purplesnow said:
God I wish people would stop spreading this 10 day application thing. that LMIA is only for contract positions lasting less than 120 days, its no use to anyone who wants to immigrate.
LMIA process is the same regardless of whether you're going for the free one, or the one that also supports a work permit.
2-5 months processing time.
I'm not sure where you got this info, but it's not what happened with me. I have a fulltime permanent position which I got without the LMIA. I told my HR I wanted to apply for PR and needed the LMIA. They filed it on 1/10 and I got the positive LMIA returned in the mail marked 1/30. It will give me a 1 year valid work permit.
I recently filled out the application on EE and stated that my current permit has no LMIA, but my job offer has a LMIA. I was awarded the 600 points and am listed as qualifying for the FSW and CEC.
Just to be on the safe side, my employer has gone a head and filed online for a new work permit based on the positive LMIA. Once this comes through I will update my profile saying that my current work permit has a positive LMIA. The lawyer said this is fine.
That being said, I realize that I am extremely lucky to have an employer who is willing to file all this paperwork for me. I'll give updates on what happens if anyone is interested.

sumitthegreat

Star Member
Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AshesNdust said:
I'm not sure where you got this info, but it's not what happened with me. I have a fulltime permanent position which I got without the LMIA. I told my HR I wanted to apply for PR and needed the LMIA. They filed it on 1/10 and I got the positive LMIA returned in the mail marked 1/30. It will give me a 1 year valid work permit.
I recently filled out the application on EE and stated that my current permit has no LMIA, but my job offer has a LMIA. I was awarded the 600 points and am listed as qualifying for the FSW and CEC.
Just to be on the safe side, my employer has gone a head and filed online for a new work permit based on the positive LMIA. Once this comes through I will update my profile saying that my current work permit has a positive LMIA. The lawyer said this is fine.
That being said, I realize that I am extremely lucky to have an employer who is willing to file all this paperwork for me. I'll give updates on what happens if anyone is interested.
I am trying my employer to apply for LMIA as I have a full time permanent position too. My current work permit is valid till Nov 2015. Please keep me posted about the details.

anwer

Dec 9, 2014
Category........
AINP
AshesNdust said:
Interesting. Can you please tell us whats your NOC code? and was your wage below or above the median wage?

I'm surprised that your LMIA application was positively approved in such a short time.

Congrats :) applying through express entry should be straightforward now that the hard part (getting an LMIA) is over.