+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B stamping and canada PR

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
Hi,

i have my h1b picked and approved for the very first time. But i did not get my stamping done. Mean while my canada PR got approved. 1) So can i send my passport to canada for stamping ( becuase it is out of US and with our h1b stamping can we send passport to canada(other country) for stamping)

2) Also is it mandatory to send passport to canada or we can get it stamped with in US at any VAC and get the coPR?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Have you received Canadian PR Visa (IM1) and COPR document already? You will receive an email to do that. If you are currently residing in the US, and your application is being processing Ottawa or some other Canadian office, then they will ask you to send the passport to those offices. You can certainly send the passport to Ottawa and receive it back in the US.

H1B Visa application is a completely separate process. What is commonly known as H1B 'stamping' is actually an application for US Visa. You need to make this application at any US consulate outside of the US. It cannot be made inside US. The application has to be made in person and requires an interview.

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
Have you received Canadian PR Visa (IM1) and COPR document already? You will receive an email to do that. If you are currently residing in the US, and your application is being processing Ottawa or some other Canadian office, then they will ask you to send the passport to those offices. You can certainly send the passport to Ottawa and receive it back in the US.

H1B Visa application is a completely separate process. What is commonly known as H1B 'stamping' is actually an application for US Visa. You need to make this application at any US consulate outside of the US. It cannot be made inside US. The application has to be made in person and requires an interview.

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
Actually my question is, can i send passport to canadian office from US for stamping to receive copr. The reason i ask is, since my h1 stamping is not yet done can the passport be sent out of the country?? If i send it will it have any impact on my h1 in future?

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
Actually the question is can i send my passport to canadaian office from US for stamping to receive copr. The reason i ask is, since my h1 stamping is not yet done can the passport be sent out of the country?? If i send will it have any impact on my h1 in future when i go for stamping?

psp.picasa

Oct 3, 2018
Actually the question is can i send my passport to canadaian office from US for stamping to receive copr. The reason i ask is, since my h1 stamping is not yet done can the passport be sent out of the country?? If i send will it have any impact on my h1 in future when i go for stamping?

Sending passport out of Canada shouldn’t have any impact on H1B. Your passport will be in a sealed envelope. Nobody checks them while they are in transit. On other side USCIS doesn’t care about your Canadian PR in terms of H1B.

My wife is in similar situation. Our passports are in route back from Ottawa to US.
You should be fine.

Shony_2013

Sep 24, 2019
I have COPR (Canada visa stamped on my PP), I am in India and my H1b petition is approved. I have to appear for the interview in Visa consulate in India.
Having Canada visa stamped on pp have any impact ? It is my back up, knowing situation in the US, but what is the politically correct answer, if there is any question during iv?

psp.picasa

Oct 3, 2018
I have COPR (Canada visa stamped on my PP), I am in India and my H1b petition is approved. I have to appear for the interview in Visa consulate in India.
Having Canada visa stamped on pp have any impact ? It is my back up, knowing situation in the US, but what is the politically correct answer, if there is any question during iv?
One has nothing to do with the other. Canada is where you planning to migrate in future and USA is where you are planning to work now. Be honest if asked. Shouldn’t be any problem.

jish6303

Jan 4, 2020
You need to fill the DS-160 form to any US visas. But you can attend to the interviews in any US consulates in Canada.

Bina5

Dec 21, 2019
Hi, i have received my copr and i have to travel before april 02nd also get my h1b stamping done. I am going to travel alone through flight.

1) Can anyone tell me, What documents do i need to carry for PR or show the immigration officer apart from funds?
2)when i land in canada, what questions do the immigartion officers usually ask? also should i tell them i am here for h1b stamping as well?
3) For someone travelling alone and for the first time to canada which would be a best place to land to get h1b stamping done as well?

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Hi, i have received my copr and i have to travel before april 02nd also get my h1b stamping done. I am going to travel alone through flight.

1) Can anyone tell me, What documents do i need to carry for PR or show the immigration officer apart from funds?
2)when i land in canada, what questions do the immigartion officers usually ask? also should i tell them i am here for h1b stamping as well?
3) For someone travelling alone and for the first time to canada which would be a best place to land to get h1b stamping done as well?

Have you booked H1B appointment in Canada already - I just checked today and there are no dates available until June?

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
As of this afternoon, there weren't any dates. If you find something, please let me know too.

hnjani2004

Jan 10, 2020
Sending passport out of Canada shouldn’t have any impact on H1B. Your passport will be in a sealed envelope. Nobody checks them while they are in transit. On other side USCIS doesn’t care about your Canadian PR in terms of H1B.

My wife is in similar situation. Our passports are in route back from Ottawa to US.
You should be fine.
How long did it take for the return after you submitted your passports for Canada visa? I send out my passport last week & the return package is still not activated.