H1B or Canada PR

saravsingh1

Oct 15, 2014
India
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
245east84 said:
Cool skyhope, that is the same NOC as mine. We should stay in touch. My gmail address is 245east84@gmail.com.

Based on my 4 years in the US, I found that changing jobs in the US is relatively easy in some industries where foreign workers are quite common e.g. Tech Industry and Management Consulting. However, outside of those industries I saw that it was quite hard (but not impossible) to change companies. And most small companies with less than 500 employees avoided hiring H1b unless they had no other choice. Small firms usually lack the legal expertise (and the money) to process these visas.

One last problem with H1b is that if there is a recession and layoffs start occurring, the H1B holder is in a lot of trouble. (Even a great employee can be laid off if the company is not doing well overall) And in these circumstances the H1b holder has <60 days to find another job or leave the US. Finding a job in a recession in <60 is almost impossible so many H1B holders like to have Canada PR as a back up option.

Hope I was clear in my above discussion.
I agree that with H1B changing jobs in the US is easy these days, rest depends upon the new government. Cheerz!

ag2015usa

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
skyhope said:
Thanks for your reply ag2015 ...well i am not at all in tech industry ...My job falls in code 0601 or 0621..hows is it for this code in US market...or in Canadian job market..Any views??
Can't comment on the Canadian job market but I agree with the initial assessment that it would be difficult for you to switch jobs in the US. Primarily because there is no dearth of qualified individuals for those position so a company would find it hard to justify the extra expense for your H1b (~7-8k) and then your eventual green card (~20k).

Furthermore, a part of the green card process is to prove that there are no qualified Americans/LPRs to do your job which would difficult unless your job is specialized.

A caveat here is if you're a manager in a multinational firm and they are bringing you here as an intra company transferee, it would make sense to come here because your green card will get done with the local labor market test and will be done within 6 months.

skyhope

Feb 26, 2016
Thanks for your encouraging email 245east84 and making it easier to understand ....Sure I will keep in touch and send you my email id in the message box.

245east84 said:
Cool skyhope, that is the same NOC as mine. We should stay in touch. My gmail address is 245east84@gmail.com.

Based on my 4 years in the US, I found that changing jobs in the US is relatively easy in some industries where foreign workers are quite common e.g. Tech Industry and Management Consulting. However, outside of those industries I saw that it was quite hard (but not impossible) to change companies. And most small companies with less than 500 employees avoided hiring H1b unless they had no other choice. Small firms usually lack the legal expertise (and the money) to process these visas.

One last problem with H1b is that if there is a recession and layoffs start occurring, the H1B holder is in a lot of trouble. (Even a great employee can be laid off if the company is not doing well overall) And in these circumstances the H1b holder has <60 days to find another job or leave the US. Finding a job in a recession in <60 is almost impossible so many H1B holders like to have Canada PR as a back up option.

Hope I was clear in my above discussion.

skyhope

Feb 26, 2016
Thanks to all of you ......as your positive opinions have really clarified a lot of things for me ..Wish me good luck for both. :D

linpaws87

Jul 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
26-Dec-2015
Passport Req..
09-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2016
Having gone through the H1b process 3 times (failed to get picked in the lottery every year) personally I can tell you that chances of getting through the H1b lottery are getting lower every year. It is best that you give the H1b a shot through the US employer, but also begin the Canada PR process in parallel.

Coming to the actual question - I would say definitely go with H1b (if everything goes well and approved by October). Else you always have plan B which is the Canada PR.

All the best!

Deccan

Feb 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your eventual aim is to get PR in the US through employment, hunker down for a long, long wait... especially if your country of origin is India. As you probably know, EB3 & EB2 categories are majorly backlogged. My spouse and I experienced delays in H1 renewals the last two times (we both have our individual I-140s approved). During that delay, we couldn't renew our driver's permit. We couldn't drive for a period of over 3 months each time. The eternal wait for the green card is primarily why we decided to look at Canada despite having spent over 15 years in the US--a country which we've come to call our home away from home.

My 2 cents.

Wish you all the very best in your endeavors!