+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guys help needed in Listening module !!

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
I have appeared for IELTS twice so far this year.
In Listening module, I scored 5.5 in April 2016 and 7 in July 2016.

At the moment, I could score 10 right consistently only in Section 1. Somehow find any one of Section 2, Section 3, Section 4 to be difficult that restricts my goal of scoring 8.

I am very surprised to see many posts in this forum with people consistently scoring 8 and above in Listening and failing in one of the other modules.

I am quite interested to understand the knack / strategy these experts follow to do this over and over again.

Please share your suggestions, tips and may be it could be useful to others too.

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
fatehelps said:
No experts care to reply??

This forum is not to support someone who needs assistance??
I will offer you my advice,first you have to practice exams as much as you can daily and see in which sections you do the most mistakes and try to focus more on these types of questions,look for key words when listening for example if the question says a name be looking for that,if phone number wait for the number,also make sure that your spelling is correct because mis spelligs will loose you marks,read the questions carefully so if it asks for one word and or a number,you cannot answer using 2 words ,in the ielts they always play tricks so for example they will be telling an answer and then after they change it,also,you must practice to read the questions fast because without reading them properly you wont know what to listen for,try to include english on your daily life so for example always listen to bbc news,cnn or national geographic,watch a lot of english movies or series in english translation then watch the same without subtitles,by time and practice you will improve.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wolverine17 said:
I will offer you my advice,first you have to practice exams as much as you can daily and see in which sections you do the most mistakes and try to focus more on these types of questions,look for key words when listening for example if the question says a name be looking for that,if phone number wait for the number,also make sure that your spelling is correct because mis spelligs will loose you marks,read the questions carefully so if it asks for one word and or a number,you cannot answer using 2 words ,in the ielts they always play tricks so for example they will be telling an answer and then after they change it,also,you must practice to read the questions fast because without reading them properly you wont know what to listen for,try to include english on your daily life so for example always listen to bbc news,cnn or national geographic,watch a lot of english movies or series in english translation then watch the same without subtitles,by time and practice you will improve.
i scored 8.5 in listening twice, over 5 years - wrote 2 separate tests... my $0.02
As mentioned earlier, read the questions very closely... if tehy say 2 words max, then use 1-2 words only, no numbers... that sort of thing...
My personal trick is to Try to practise writing really quick, like almost as fast as they are speaking... this is particularly useful for 31-40 section, where i write down almost every key word of the entire conversation... it helped that i worked in a call center in my younger years, so i was kinda used to typing and listening at the same time taking notes...

most importantly - practise, practise, practise, practise - there is substitute for it..