File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
vinitmenon said:
this is india :D we are multi-cultured :p
Indeed we are, but the iphone hysteria and butter-chicken were like a dead giveaway! :)

vinitmenon

Nov 1, 2012
sue_in said:
Indeed we are, but the iphone hysteria and butter-chicken were like a dead giveaway! :)
hahaha.. m an apple freak! had a deal with brother that as soon as i land i want to go to apple store and get my things :D

this time it will be iphone 5 :p

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure if things have changed drastically (dont think so from my trips to-from india in the last 8 years) but here is what i have learnt...

Packing
Pack your bags yourself so you know exactly what is in it. It will help if you get pulled into secondary screening and have to open your bags. No need to get mummyji to thrown in achaar, masale etc... you can buy everything here. Also, food items are usually not allowed into the country and you have to declare them and specify what it is and yadda yadda yadda... more hassle than convenience.
I would also recommend you pack light and dont do a lot of shopping, buy clothes in Canada according to the weather (which can vary across the country). I have put up some tips in another topic ("confessions of a student in Canada" on how to buy clothes cheap). Less luggage means exactly that... less luggage for you to carry and worry about.
Put all your important documents, laptop etc in your carry on.

If you are carrying a lot of cash.. don't. Buy traveller's cheques instead. keep some cash on you, maybe around 4-500$ in US dollars. Legally bought tC's should be declared on your passport (they were on mine) and when you buy them, sign on each of the TC's once. You need to sign a second time when you cash them at a bank. this ensures only you can cash them and even if lost/ stolen, they can be cancelled and you can be issued new TC's. so its a safe way of carrying money. we have all heard stories of the fine officials at New delhi airport who are very skilled at parting you with your money.

At the departure airport
Get there 3-4 hours ahead of departure. When going through security, get all your bags tagged and stamped. Make sure the stamp is visible. If they do not stamp a tag, ask them to. someties they forget, sometimes they do it to mess with you (no idea what gives). These stamps will be checked about 10-20 times after you go through security up untill you board the plane. It's ridiculous but hey, it's India right? No stamps means no boarding.

Plane ride will be exciting for the first bit, specially if its your first. But it gets boring after a couple of hours. It will be hard to sleep so hope the plane has personal tv monitors so you can watch movies etc. I would recommend knock back a couple of drams of whiskey or wine with your food, it helps you sleep but dont get drunk. know your limit and drink responsibly.

In terms of seat selection, i like the aisle seat because of the convenience of getting up to go to the bathroom or just to stretch your legs and you dont have to bother anyone else. If you plan on sleeping through most of your flight, get a window seat so you are not bothered. the best seats are in the exit row seats where you get extra legroom since you dont have seats in front of you and you can get in/ out without bothering anyone. So a window seat on the exit row is the best seat.

Try to get a flight with a connection and a couple of hours of layover minimum. Helps you relax and prepare for the next leg which would probably be around 10-12 hours. it also gives you the time to appreciate the connecting airport and facilities available to travellers. take lots of pictures. i usually find out where my departure gate is first so i know where i am supposed to be when boarding begins. then i'll go off to duty free shops and stuff. Some flights have long stays and can even offer accomodation in transiting country. I have heard JAL (Japan airlines) usually has 12+ hours of stay in japan and will offer hotel for travellers.

Arriving in Canada can be a fun experience. Fill out your customs card truthfully and sign it. You may go through long line-ups or not depending on what time you arrive at the airport. You probably will have to go through the immigration office to get processed. You will get your customs card stamped before you get your luggage. Hold onto that card, you will need to show it to customs officers before you can leave the arrivals area. NOTE: When done with your immigration part and collecting your bags, look at your customs card. If it is stamped, your are probably good to go. If it has a number written on it and no stamp, be ready for secondary inspection. this is from experience. This is where you need to know exactly what is in your bags as they will go through it piece by piece. Being pulled into secondary does not necessarily mean you are on some sort of a list, it just means you fit a certain security profile and they need to make sure you are not what they think you might possibly be. anyways, its a very tiring and frustrating experience but it will be over.

In case you are connecting to another domestic flight, i would still recommend you make sure you have 3-4 hours between flights. things can go wrong as in your incoming flight is delayed, there is a delay at immigration, baggage claim, you get pulled into secondary etc. So better to have extra room between your connections so you dont miss your next flight.

If you are arriving in winter, make sure you have a warm jacket, scarf, gloves and a touque (warm TOPI). you dont want to get sick the first week you are here.

So be prepared for what could happen, try to prevent the things that you have control over, sit back, relax and enjoy your flying experience. I know i do everytime i fly long haul.

Lucky LALI

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Visa Office......
CHD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 oct 12
IELTS Request
VISA ISSUED...
29 oct 12
LANDED..........
soon....
just_do_it said:
Not sure if things have changed drastically (dont think so from my trips to-from india in the last 8 years) but here is what i have learnt...

Packing
Pack your bags yourself so you know exactly what is in it. It will help if you get pulled into secondary screening and have to open your bags. No need to get mummyji to thrown in achaar, masale etc... you can buy everything here. Also, food items are usually not allowed into the country and you have to declare them and specify what it is and yadda yadda yadda... more hassle than convenience.
I would also recommend you pack light and dont do a lot of shopping, buy clothes in Canada according to the weather (which can vary across the country). I have put up some tips in another topic ("confessions of a student in Canada" on how to buy clothes cheap). Less luggage means exactly that... less luggage for you to carry and worry about.

If you are carrying a lot of cash.. don't. Buy traveller's cheques instead. keep some cash on you, maybe around 4-500$ in US dollars. Legally bought tC's should be declared on your passport (they were on mine) and when you buy them, sign on each of the TC's once. You need to sign a second time when you cash them at a bank. this ensures only you can cash them and even if lost/ stolen, they can be cancelled and you can be issued new TC's. so its a safe way of carrying money. we have all heard stories of the fine officials at New delhi airport who are very skilled at parting you with your money.

At the departure airport
Get there 3-4 hours ahead of departure. When going through security, get all your bags tagged and stamped. Make sure the stamp is visible. If they do not stamp a tag, ask them to. someties they forget, sometimes they do it to mess with you (no idea what gives). These stamps will be checked about 10-20 times after you go through security up untill you board the plane. It's ridiculous but hey, it's India right? No stamps means no boarding.

Plane ride will be exciting for the first bit, specially if its your first. But it gets boring after a couple of hours. It will be hard to sleep so hope the plane has personal tv monitors so you can watch movies etc. I would recommend knock back a couple of drams of whiskey or wine with your food, it helps you sleep but dont get drunk. know your limit and drink responsibly.

In terms of seat selection, i like the aisle seat because of the convenience of getting up to go to the bathroom or just to stretch your legs and you dont have to bother anyone else. If you plan on sleeping through most of your flight, get a window seat so you are not bothered. the best seats are in the exit row seats where you get extra legroom since you dont have seats in front of you and you can get in/ out without bothering anyone. So a window seat on the exit row is the best seat.

Try to get a flight with a connection and a couple of hours of layover minimum. Helps you relax and prepare for the next leg which would probably be around 10-12 hours. it also gives you the time to appreciate the connecting airport and facilities available to travellers. take lots of pictures. i usually find out where my departure gate is first so i know where i am supposed to be when boarding begins. then i'll go off to duty free shops and stuff. Some flights have long stays and can even offer accomodation in transiting country. I have heard JAL (Japan airlines) usually has 12+ hours of stay in japan and will offer hotel for travellers.

Arriving in Canada can be a fun experience. Fill out your customs card truthfully and sign it. You may go through long line-ups or not depending on what time you arrive at the airport. You probably will have to go through the immigration office to get processed. You will get your customs card stamped before you get your luggage. Hold onto that card, you will need to show it to customs officers before you can leave the arrivals area. NOTE: When done with your immigration part and collecting your bags, look at your customs card. If it is stamped, your are probably good to go. If it has a number written on it and no stamp, be ready for secondary inspection. this is from experience. This is where you need to know exactly what is in your bags as they will go through it piece by piece. Being pulled into secondary does not necessarily mean you are on some sort of a list, it just means you fit a certain security profile and they need to make sure you are not what they think you might possibly be. anyways, its a very tiring and frustrating experience but it will be over.

In case you are connecting to another domestic flight, i would still recommend you make sure you have 3-4 hours between flights. things can go wrong as in your incoming flight is delayed, there is a delay at immigration, baggage claim, you get pulled into secondary etc. So better to have extra room between your connections so you dont miss your next flight.

If you are arriving in winter, make sure you have a warm jacket, scarf, gloves and a touque (warm TOPI). you dont want to get sick the first week you are here.

So be prepared for what could happen, try to prevent the things that you have control over, sit back, relax and enjoy your flying experience. I know i do everytime i fly long haul.
good 1

aman khinda

Jul 29, 2012
kapurthala,punjab,india
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just_do_it said:

Packing

At the departure airport

nice one and you have provided me with a pichture..baaki waheguru ji mehar karan satnaam waheguru ji..