+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got TA+RA Offer. Do I need to show extra money???

Yusuf112

Dec 12, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I am Yusuf. I am a Prospective Intl' Graduate Student. I got a TA+RA offer of 24k CAD (12hrs/week) from UAlberta from a Faculty. She wishes to supervise me for MSc Thesis in "X" subject.
I believe, the professor is much interested in having me in her group.

I think, Scholarship offers, if I get, come after admission decision. And, International students do get some kind of scholarships which can offset the tuition fee.

According to the Uni website, the total 1-year estimated cost (2 years MSc program) is :
Tuition fee : $8790 CAD
Living Cost Estimate : $16800 CAD
Total : $25190 CAD
Funding : 24k
More Fund Required : $1190 CAD.

If I get, say $3000 CAD Scholarship for the 1st year, then do I need to show extra financial fund through Bank Statement?? If so, then how much should I show??

I know, this is much early to ask. But I want to be ready from now.

Thank you.

hatice

Jul 5, 2014
pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all congratulations, and second, Does this scholarship cover your full tution fee? Then just show whatever u have in account easily, Like 5-10 lac maybe, I knew someone who was fully funded she just showed 10 lac in account and applied for visa, just u know that VO see that u have something :p

Yusuf112

Dec 12, 2016
hatice said:
First of all congratulations, and second, Does this scholarship cover your full tution fee? Then just show whatever u have in account easily, Like 5-10 lac maybe, I knew someone who was fully funded she just showed 10 lac in account and applied for visa, just u know that VO see that u have something :p
Thank you hatice for your kind reply.

Answering your question, there are multiple types of scholarships for International Students. Scholarships amount ranges between 1k and 17k. There are also some department specific scholarships available.

According to CIC, a study permit requires funds for tuition+ Living Expense of $10,000 CAD for one year. If I get an assistantship letter which shows funds for $24k CAD for 1 year, then I have to show $1190 CAD (See the Main Thread) + first month expense, say $3k CAD + Airfare to Canada.).

If I get a scholarship of $3k CAD, then I think I need to show an amount of less than 5 lacs, don't I?

One Follow-up question I need to ask you. Can I show that extra funds with a savings account (Not in FD account)?

Canadian visa process is very confusing to me. :eek: ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\ :mad: :mad: :mad:

hatice

Jul 5, 2014
pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is right If U attach the letter that is showing 24K than U just have to show remaining funds, I have no idea about saving/current account, I have started the process for my statement and mine is saving account in HBL. So If u got clear answer to this 1, Tell me too, I never thought abt it as a problem.

hatice

Jul 5, 2014
pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok I talk to someone, and it doesn't matter if it's a current or saving account, u goo to go either way.

Hussain Junejo

Dec 22, 2014
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
An off-topic reply.
Yusuf are you Pakistani?
Can you please share your profile? Like 10th&12th and University you completed your UG

Yusuf112

Dec 12, 2016
Hussain Junejo said:
An off-topic reply.
Yusuf are you Pakistani?
Can you please share your profile? Like 10th&12th and University you completed your UG
Hi Hussain Junejo.
I am from Bangladesh.

I have an average cgpa 3.51/4.00
Amongst top 20%
It's the research experience and interest which I think strikes the Prof most. And my University has a reputation there because of its students' success.

Please don't mind brother. I do not want to say much about my profile right now. :) :)

Riddeek

Nov 28, 2016
Yusuf112 said:
Hi Hussain Junejo.
I am from Bangladesh.

I have an average cgpa 3.51/4.00
Amongst top 20%
It's the research experience and interest which I think strikes the Prof most. And my University has a reputation there because of its students' success.

Please don't mind brother. I do not want to say much about my profile right now. :) :)
how many research papers do you have? Nice profile by the way. Pls what dept? ECE?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Yusuf112 said:
Hi Everyone,

I am Yusuf. I am a Prospective Intl' Graduate Student. I got a TA+RA offer of 24k CAD (12hrs/week) from UAlberta from a Faculty. She wishes to supervise me for MSc Thesis in "X" subject.
I believe, the professor is much interested in having me in her group.

I think, Scholarship offers, if I get, come after admission decision. And, International students do get some kind of scholarships which can offset the tuition fee.

According to the Uni website, the total 1-year estimated cost (2 years MSc program) is :
Tuition fee : $8790 CAD
Living Cost Estimate : $16800 CAD
Total : $25190 CAD
Funding : 24k
More Fund Required : $1190 CAD.

If I get, say $3000 CAD Scholarship for the 1st year, then do I need to show extra financial fund through Bank Statement?? If so, then how much should I show??

I know, this is much early to ask. But I want to be ready from now.

Thank you.

1. TA/RA and a paid scholarship are two different things. Anything that you are going to earn (ex. TA/RA) is not a proof of financial capacity.

Yusuf112

Dec 12, 2016
J5M said:
Hi,

1. TA/RA and a paid scholarship are two different things. Anything that you are going to earn (ex. TA/RA) is not a proof of financial capacity.
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am aware of the differences.
But, what is your suggestion?

I am planning to show a $7k to $8k CAD.

Thank you.

dahal1

Apr 7, 2018
Visa Office......
Canada
Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am aware of the differences.
But, what is your suggestion?

I am planning to show a $7k to $8k CAD.

Thank you.
Hey bro what did you show for financial doc?? I also need to show financial doc for processing and got 24000 as stipend...

mmclub

Star Member
Jun 10, 2018
Hey bro what did you show for financial doc?? I also need to show financial doc for processing and got 24000 as stipend...
you applying for masters or phd? i too had a fund of 30k a year. i submitted the letter of funding offer and 5 lakh in my father's account.

dahal1

Apr 7, 2018
Visa Office......
Canada
you applying for masters or phd? i too had a fund of 30k a year. i submitted the letter of funding offer and 5 lakh in my father's account.
Iam for masters in ualberta....I also submitted the letter of funding written by prof stating the amount plus around 20000 cad in bank with property also....I wanted to be in safe side....

mmclub

Star Member
Jun 10, 2018
Iam for masters in ualberta....I also submitted the letter of funding written by prof stating the amount plus around 20000 cad in bank with property also....I wanted to be in safe side....
I think that is sufficient. My application was rejected earlier but the visa officer made no comments about the finance.