+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got married before landing but spouse is not accompanying immediately

Mimmie123

Jun 2, 2016
Please I need a reply urgently

I got issued my PR Visa and COPR in January, I then got married in March as I and my husband intended to that It was a better choice rather than coming back ( we thought it was a good choice at the time). Now I am just realizing that there is a lot more to it. The thing is, we have notified the Visa office of the change in marital status but no reply in almost a month (my PR Visa will expire in September).
Also, my husband is in the military in my home country and is not ready to migrate with me till in 2 years time.

Please I need to know the options I have and the next steps to take asap.

Thank you in anticipation.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This thread should answer your questions:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/details-of-non-accompanying-spouse-in-my-pr-application-t220442.0.html

Good luck!

Mimmie123

Jun 2, 2016
Thank you so much for the swift reply.

I have read through the thread and I understand a few things.

However, if the Visa office does not reply in good time and in trying to avoid my Visa expiring.

Can I leave for landing and tell the POE officer about my change of status and will I still be able to sponsor my husband later on?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Mimmie123 said:
However, if the Visa office does not reply in good time and in trying to avoid my Visa expiring.

Can I leave for landing and tell the POE officer about my change of status and will I still be able to sponsor my husband later on?
No, you cannot. If you land without adding your husband to the application, you will never be able to sponsor him.

Mimmie123

Jun 2, 2016
Thank you again for replying.

I understand that I cannot sponsor him if this happens.

Thing now Is that he says he does not mind if I cannot sponsor him.

He says I have put in a lot to start over and if he won't be allowed in through appeal, I might have to return to my home country.

Please, can I get a detailed response on my possible options.

I don't want to go in with a wrong record/status.

I also don't want to loose the time and money put into this one (Visa) I have now.

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
Mimmie123 said:

He says I have put in a lot to start over and if he won't be allowed in through appeal, I might have to return to my home country.

I also don't want to loose the time and money put into this one (Visa) I have now.
What you are saying is, your husband does not want to go to Canada or even have that option open. Appeals are likely to fail.

And then he wants you to move back? Then why go in the first place. And if you choose to stay in Canada, then what does that mean for the marriage? The 2 of you really needs to understand what these decisions mean.

The most pragmatic thing to do is wait, add him as non-accompanying spouse, and he does the medical check, etc. Then it leaves the option open for you to sponsor him when he is ready to move.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Mimmie123 said:

I'm not sure that you fully understand your situation. As your COPR was issued to you as a single person, now that you have married, it is invalid and should be returned to the issuing visa office. Once your spouse has undergone the mandatory medical and admissibility checks, your COPR will be reissued to you (and optionally your spouse) as a married person. Any other course of action is misrepresentation. There is no possibility of a legitimate "landing" with the document that you currently have.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Mimmie123 said:

Your COPR is currently for a single person, and you are married. If you landed with it, it will be misrepresentation. You will never be able to sponsor your husband, and an appeal will not work.

You really need to change your status with the visa office to married, add your husband to your app, and have him do medical and police checks. If he it not ready to immigrate yet, he can be listed as non-accompanying meaning after you land you can sponsor him later when he's ready to move here.

Keep asking the visa office if you aren't getting a response.

Mimmie123

Jun 2, 2016
Thank you everyone, for the detailed response.

I guess my best bet is to wait and keep on trying to get a response from the Visa office.

I pray it goes as smoothly as mine went and doesn't take a long while.

Thank you all.

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
Mimmie123 said:
Thank you everyone, for the detailed response.

I guess my best bet is to wait and keep on trying to get a response from the Visa office.

I pray it goes as smoothly as mine went and doesn't take a long while.

Thank you all.
With CIC/VO, you have to be much more explicit than asking question. Instead of saying "now I am married, now what?" kind of question, it is assumed you know you need to re-do/update some of the forms, get medicals for your husband, etc.

This will minimize delays. Why wait one month or more just to be told you now need to re-do your forms to reflect your new marital status.

So what you should do is re-download all the application forms, go through them and fill them in again as you are now married. A lot of those content would be different now as you are a married person.

Have a detailed cover letter of the situation and why these forms are re-done. Then upload via Case Specific Enquiry, and send the originals to the VO.

Mimmie123

Jun 2, 2016
Thank you.

Please do you mean I should be proactive and fill 'ALL' the forms I filled at the beginning of my own application?

If no, please what are the specific forms to fill so this can be hastened?

We would be working on him getting his IELTS testing, police report etc.

However, I am sure he cannot go for the medical a till he is instructed to do so.

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
Mimmie123 said:
Thank you.

Please do you mean I should be proactive and fill 'ALL' the forms I filled at the beginning of my own application?

If no, please what are the specific forms to fill so this can be hastened?

We would be working on him getting his IELTS testing, police report etc.

However, I am sure he cannot go for the medical a till he is instructed to do so.
This would be my suggestion, instead of wait for the obvious. Again, my suggestion only, but logically CIC will reply that you will have to fill up affected forms again. It is not logical to assume that CIC will just note down your husband's information and help you fill in the information in all the places that need update, don't you think? If you think about it, it makes sense that CIC will ask you to re-do all the affected forms so all the information will be properly reflected in the right places.

Your status has changed from single to married. Your husband is the non-accompanying dependent spouse. There is more information to provide because your family structure has changed.

You should go over all the forms you filled out as the Principle Applicant, and fill out all the affected forms with the new status in mind. Some things won't change, and those forms will not need to be updated. There's really only a few major forms in the application: principle applicant application form, additional dependents declaration, background declaration Schedule A your husband has to fill in, additional family info. If you were the only applicant without dependents in the original application, then the additional dependents declaration form would be new, as would be Schedule A which your husband must fill in. See, there are new forms to fill in even if the ones already submitted do not have changes (and they'll have changes, simply ticking the married box versus single).

Stay calm, it looks like quite a few others on this forum has been in the same situation, so just do the right thing and everything will be fine. What I am suggesting is not to just wait and do nothing when you can get all the information together and fill out the forms carefully. It's more productive use of time than sitting and waiting for CIC to reply.