+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got ITA. Will apply and submit all the necessary documents. Still need to extend work permit?

ThiHa

Dec 14, 2019
Dear all,

I recently got ITA for Canada PR. I will submit all necessary documents and apply (pay the applicaiton fees). I am currently staying in Canada with open work permit. And, my work permit is expiring soon. My question is do I still need to extend my work permit if I submit my Canada PR application before it expires? Of course, I can extend my work permit since I have valid two more years of job offer. I am trying to gauge in saving application fees from both applications.

Hope some of you might know the quick answer.

Sincerely,
T. Ha.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Look up Bridging Open Work Permit. You will be eligible for that if you submit your PR application before your current work permit expires.

Reactions: ThiHa

ThiHa

Dec 14, 2019
Look up Bridging Open Work Permit. You will be eligible for that if you submit your PR application before your current work permit expires.
Dear 21Goose,

Thank you for the reply. Do you know any difference between usual work permit and bridging open work permit?

Thanks.
T. Ha.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Dear 21Goose,

Thank you for the reply. Do you know any difference between usual work permit and bridging open work permit?

Thanks.
T. Ha.
No, a BOWP is simply a special way to get a standard Open Work Permit. The Work Permit is exactly the same, it's just that you are eligible under BOWP rules while someone else may not be.

Reactions: ThiHa

ThiHa

Dec 14, 2019
No, a BOWP is simply a special way to get a standard Open Work Permit. The Work Permit is exactly the same, it's just that you are eligible under BOWP rules while someone else may not be.
Thanks for the quick clarification.