+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got ITA Canada PR, but changing nationality. Still eligible?

ThiHa

Dec 14, 2019
Dear all,

I have one complicated issue. I tried Google around, but no answer. Hoping some experts here know the answer.

Let's set the stage.

-Holding valid work permit and working in Canada.
-Recently received ITA for Canada PR under Canada Experience Class.
-Applied PR and will do medical checkup using (A nationality) passport
-Converting to become a (B nationality) citizen in a month before submitting all necessary documents for Canada PR
-Meaning I need to renounce (A nationality) citizen and passport, since B country doesn't allow dua citizenship.
-There is no way my current CRS score will be affected due to change of nationality.

My question is: will my ITA for Canada PR and my medical checkup used under (A country) nationality be still valid and acceptable to Canada immigration? I understand that I can add in more nationality under my personal profile section. However, I won't be able to provide the hardcopy passport of my old nationality after renunciation.

It will be great if some of the experienced folks have any thought on this issue. I will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
T. Ha.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Since you will be a citizen of country B before you submit your final application for PR, just use that as your nationality for all the questions in the application. Attach a letter explaining why your nationality changed between ITA and submission.

ITA and EE eligibility doesn't really have anything to do with citizenship of any particular country so I don't think this will matter. You were eligible for EE and given an ITA based on various factors (age, language, work, education, etc), and none of those were dependent on your citizenship. I don't see why a medical test taken as a citizen of A should suddenly be invalid because you're no longer a citizen of A.

Just to be on the safe side, you should email IRCC and ask them this question as well.

Reactions: ThiHa

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
And keep copies of your old passport so you can submit those if needed. Just scan the entire passport, including all pages with stamps to ensure you have captured an accurate travel history.

Reactions: ThiHa