+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got an update on my file from my MP

sonimal

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Hey All,

So I contacted my MP a couple of days back and she managed to get an update on my husband's PR application from New delhi. (My husband is here in Canada on work-permit). MY MP advised me that they are doing background checks, and there are no further actions required on our side, they are unable to get a time-line, and will contact once the next step is determined.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the background checks to complete, the reason I am a little impatient is because my husband's work permit expires in Aug/09.

So please give any input possible if you know the general time-frame of background checks and what does it include.

Thanks

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
In fact there is no stipulated time limit for the background check. If your husband has stayed in any other country, some times it could get some more delay. From the discussion forum postings I understand that, no one can predict exactly how long this process may take. As the dead line for your husband is in August, you can wait till end of June or little more to see what is happening. Best of luck!!!

sonimal

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Thanks Wilson, My husband has only stayed in India and Canada, But ya he did have false charges on him but those were dropped earlier this month and we have provided CHC with the new PCC from Canada confirming that, so i guess may be they still will do checks on their end in regards to that
its just been such a stressful wait..i so wish things were much simpler. :)

Jun 2, 2009
BG check can take as long as they want, and the worse is they are not transparent at all. They don't let you know which step they are and what else is remaining. My parents background check has been on since sept 2008. It is sooooo frustrated and I don't know where I can get help . We contacted the MP, and he didn't get any news from HK visa office. Good luck to all of us who are still waiting

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
The background checks are done by CSIS and not by CIC, so it's out of their hands. All the CIC visa office will get is a positive/negative response from CSIS once the check is complete. As others have said, some are done quickly and others can really drag on. I guess it depends on things such as how many countries you've lived in and how co-operative those countries are with CSIS.

rich_m0nd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2009
how would someone know if they're getting a background check? i'm waiting for AIP which i should have by now cause it has been 7 months. I'm a refugee claimant. i submitted my application november 3rd 2008 and started processing december 2nd. i sent more supporting documents as proof of relationship as stated it was recieved may 25th 2009. i checked my wifes ecas and it says we started processing your application on may 11th 2009. i don't have any conviction what so ever. i know a friend who's ahead of me 3 days and got hers AIP. i know someone 3 weeks after i did my application who got his. it's frustrating. my work permit expires july.

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
I'd guess that they do a check for every PR applicant. We found out via our MP's office that they were just waiting on the results of the background check.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rich_m0nd said:
how would someone know if they're getting a background check? i'm waiting for AIP which i should have by now cause it has been 7 months. I'm a refugee claimant. i submitted my application november 3rd 2008 and started processing december 2nd. i sent more supporting documents as proof of relationship as stated it was recieved may 25th 2009. i checked my wifes ecas and it says we started processing your application on may 11th 2009. i don't have any conviction what so ever. i know a friend who's ahead of me 3 days and got hers AIP. i know someone 3 weeks after i did my application who got his. it's frustrating. my work permit expires july.
Be prepared for a wait. CIC looks really closely at the bona fides of refugee claimants who get married during the claim and apply for spousal sponsorship.

PMM

rich_m0nd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2009
PMM,

do you think that's the reason why there's a hold on my application? if you've seen exquisite's posts, he's also a claimant and he got his AIP. i even submitted my application earlier than he did.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rich_m0nd said:
PMM,

do you think that's the reason why there's a hold on my application? if you've seen exquisite's posts, he's also a claimant and he got his AIP. i even submitted my application earlier than he did.
Either that or the security check is taking a while.

PMM