+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a Criminal Charge During Citizenship Application Processing Time

Neeeaaal

Jun 5, 2024
I applied the citizenship in May, 2023, and got a criminal charge in Oct, 2023. The charge was withdrawn in Jan, 2024.
Until now (June, 2024), I have not receive any notifications or letters from IRCC. My application status is still in processing.
Just want to know in this kind of scenario, how long will my application be processed. And normally, what is the next step should I follow?

Anonymoustd

Jun 21, 2021
I applied the citizenship in May, 2023, and got a criminal charge in Oct, 2023. The charge was withdrawn in Jan, 2024.
Until now (June, 2024), I have not receive any notifications or letters from IRCC. My application status is still in processing.
Just want to know in this kind of scenario, how long will my application be processed. And normally, what is the next step should I follow?
Did you inform them about the charge. I think you’re supposed to eventhough it was withdrawn

Neeeaaal

Jun 5, 2024
Did you inform them about the charge. I think you’re supposed to eventhough it was withdrawn
Do I need to do that? I'm not sure about the procedure, because someone said IRCC will send you a request to get the detail of the charge, then you send them.

Anonymoustd

Jun 21, 2021
Do I need to do that? I'm not sure about the procedure, because someone said IRCC will send you a request to get the detail of the charge, then you send them.
I actually googled after and you’re right there’s little information on it. Did you try speaking with an immigration lawyer

Neeeaaal

Jun 5, 2024
I actually googled after and you’re right there’s little information on it. Did you try speaking with an immigration lawyer
Just speak with an immigration lawyer, he said 'there is no need to do that, because this is a charge happened after the application, not before', he said later I may receive a request from IRCC about this charge, and I can provide all the materials to prove this charge is withdrawn at that time. Right now, I just need to wait.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Don't worry, Justin Trudope is a criminal as well as Donald Trump.

• Haha
Reactions: Anonymoustd

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If the charges have been withdrawn, no probation for example, they should not constitute cause for denying the application.

Nonetheless, depending on what the charges were, they can cause non-routine processing that delays the application, typically triggering at least finger print requests. IRCC could request certified copies of court records to verify the charges are withdrawn. This is about IRCC verifying you are not subject to any prohibitions.

NOTE: your application appears to be taking considerably longer to process than many, if not most. It may be time to make a telephone inquiry to the call centre or a webform inquiry, or perhaps even make a request for a copy of the GCMS records.

Meanwhile, if any circumstances arise that constitute a prohibition, including any pending charges for hybrid or indictable offences, that will prohibit the grant of citizenship. This applies right up to the time the oath of citizenship is actually taken.

Applicants are required to notify IRCC of any changes in the information given in the application. While much of the information provided in the application is historical, so it cannot change, whether the applicant has any pending criminal charges is clearly information that can change while the application is in process, and if it does change (like if the applicant is charged with a hybrid or indictable offence, such as driving-while-impaired, or domestic assault, to name a couple of the more common ones) the applicant is REQUIRED to notify IRCC.

Reminder: as part of signing the application for citizenship, the applicant must certify that they "agree to advise Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if any information on this form changes before I take the Oath of Citizenship."

Just speak with an immigration lawyer, he said 'there is no need to do that, because this is a charge happened after the application, not before', he said later I may receive a request from IRCC about this charge, and I can provide all the materials to prove this charge is withdrawn at that time. Right now, I just need to wait.
I do not intend to be rude, but frankly the claim that a Canadian immigration lawyer said there was no need to inform IRCC of the charges "because this is a charge happened after the application, not before," is NOT credible.

In contrast, the lawyer's later comment, about IRCC requesting information, makes total sense (and is consistent with my previous observation about IRCC potentially making a request for finger prints or court records).

I suppose, even though it seems unlikely, the lawyer might simply be in error about notifying IRCC of criminal charges arising after making the application. (And of course it depends on the particular charge. No need to notify IRCC unless the charges are for an indictable offence, recognizing that any hybrid offence, that is crimes which may be prosecuted either summarily or by indictment, is considered to be an indictable offence even if charged as a summary offence.)

I say that it is unlikely a Canadian immigration lawyer might be in error about the need to notify IRCC because, again, as part of signing the application for citizenship, the applicant must certify that they "agree to advise Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if any information on this form changes before I take the Oath of Citizenship."

Assuming you answered [No] in response to question 16.3 in the application, the prohibitions part of the application, that is that "no" you were not now charged with an indictable offence as of when you made the application, when later you were charged (assuming it was a hybrid or otherwise indictable offence) that information changed, you became someone charged with an indictable offence.

And, indeed, while such a charge was pending (again, assuming it was a hybrid or more serious criminal offence) you were subject to a prohibition and NOT eligible for citizenship. So it is a very big deal that the charges have been withdrawn; otherwise your application would be subject to rejection.

Technically the failure to notify IRCC could constitute misrepresentation; that is, misrepresentation by omission. Where the charges have been withdrawn, that is probably unlikely. Even if the charges were not withdrawn, typically IRCC simply denies the application due to the prohibition and not based on misrepresentation (the latter would result in being prohibited for five years).

Reactions: Neeeaaal

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So basically your lawyer told you to ignore IRCC's rules.

Reactions: forevermore76

Neeeaaal

Jun 5, 2024
If the charges have been withdrawn, no probation for example, they should not constitute cause for denying the application.

Nonetheless, depending on what the charges were, they can cause non-routine processing that delays the application, typically triggering at least finger print requests. IRCC could request certified copies of court records to verify the charges are withdrawn. This is about IRCC verifying you are not subject to any prohibitions.

NOTE: your application appears to be taking considerably longer to process than many, if not most. It may be time to make a telephone inquiry to the call centre or a webform inquiry, or perhaps even make a request for a copy of the GCMS records.

Meanwhile, if any circumstances arise that constitute a prohibition, including any pending charges for hybrid or indictable offences, that will prohibit the grant of citizenship. This applies right up to the time the oath of citizenship is actually taken.

Applicants are required to notify IRCC of any changes in the information given in the application. While much of the information provided in the application is historical, so it cannot change, whether the applicant has any pending criminal charges is clearly information that can change while the application is in process, and if it does change (like if the applicant is charged with a hybrid or indictable offence, such as driving-while-impaired, or domestic assault, to name a couple of the more common ones) the applicant is REQUIRED to notify IRCC.

Reminder: as part of signing the application for citizenship, the applicant must certify that they "agree to advise Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if any information on this form changes before I take the Oath of Citizenship."

I do not intend to be rude, but frankly the claim that a Canadian immigration lawyer said there was no need to inform IRCC of the charges "because this is a charge happened after the application, not before," is NOT credible.

In contrast, the lawyer's later comment, about IRCC requesting information, makes total sense (and is consistent with my previous observation about IRCC potentially making a request for finger prints or court records).

I suppose, even though it seems unlikely, the lawyer might simply be in error about notifying IRCC of criminal charges arising after making the application. (And of course it depends on the particular charge. No need to notify IRCC unless the charges are for an indictable offence, recognizing that any hybrid offence, that is crimes which may be prosecuted either summarily or by indictment, is considered to be an indictable offence even if charged as a summary offence.)

I say that it is unlikely a Canadian immigration lawyer might be in error about the need to notify IRCC because, again, as part of signing the application for citizenship, the applicant must certify that they "agree to advise Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) if any information on this form changes before I take the Oath of Citizenship."

Assuming you answered [No] in response to question 16.3 in the application, the prohibitions part of the application, that is that "no" you were not now charged with an indictable offence as of when you made the application, when later you were charged (assuming it was a hybrid or otherwise indictable offence) that information changed, you became someone charged with an indictable offence.

And, indeed, while such a charge was pending (again, assuming it was a hybrid or more serious criminal offence) you were subject to a prohibition and NOT eligible for citizenship. So it is a very big deal that the charges have been withdrawn; otherwise your application would be subject to rejection.

Technically the failure to notify IRCC could constitute misrepresentation; that is, misrepresentation by omission. Where the charges have been withdrawn, that is probably unlikely. Even if the charges were not withdrawn, typically IRCC simply denies the application due to the prohibition and not based on misrepresentation (the latter would result in being prohibited for five years).
how to notify the IRCC about the withdrawn charge, by writing an email? Last week I went to the Ontario Court to get the Court Records for this withdrawn charge.