+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods to Follow Form Confusion - Please Advise

dave1134

Apr 1, 2015
Hello,

My husband will be landing as a PR next week. He is coming to Canada for two weeks and will be returning home to the UK until he moves over here permanently in August. We are confused about the forms where you are asked to list all of your items you are bringing with you into Canada.

1) Do you need to write down everything in your suitcase? Even socks etc? How do you value this? How do you value things such as a homemade scrapbook?

2) Can you make changes to the Goods to Follow form? He is not 100% sure what he is bringing with him in August and we need to hand in this form next week when he lands as a PR.

3) How big of a deal is this step? He is not bringing anything other than clothes and a few simple things. No jewellery, food, plants, meats, endangered species etc. We are worried this part of the process could be an issue.

4) Since he is leaving Canada two weeks after landing as a PR, he will be bringing most of his clothing back to the UK with him. How does this work? Does he put them on the sheet listing the items he is bringing into Canada the day he lands? Or are they goods to follow?

5) Is there a specific form you need to fill out? Or do you just create this list on your own?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I went through this when I repatriated.....
1) No. Don't list everything insignificant. I itemized each package and summarized the content and gave approximate values. For High dollar items of things with serial numbers, list them with the serial number and value. Make sure you aren't over the allowable limit for the item.

2) No. Once the form is submitted, that's it. Anything else that comes would be dutiable.

3)I brought a laptop bag and a suitcase. Everything else followed. Just have the documentation available for customs when you land, including items to follow. At immigration they just check the documents and review what you have brought with you. It's a whole other song and dance once the items to follow arrive with customs.

4)Not sure, but I would think if he has his PR when he leaves, this would have been accounted for when he comes back. Unless it's in his shipment from the UK, it isn't goods to follow.