+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving Birth In Canada As Tourist. Procedure and cost ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

ralphy

Aug 13, 2017
Hi Naresh,

Yeah same as Kareem, I'd also love to hear from your experience.

How's the application for your baby's birth certificate and passport went? How long the 2 process took?

Also, I hope you can share with us the duration of stay and the total cost.

God willing, I'm planning the same for my children in 1-2 years time so I'd be utmost grateful if you can share with us your experience.

Looking forward to your reply

Take care and God bless :)

hmr

May 12, 2010
Canada
Hi everyone, we have got the PR and Health Card last year in August but return back to our country afterwards. Now, as my wife is expecting and we are planning the "delivery" in Canada Ontario area. kindly share your feedback/ experience on the following queries:

• what would be the usual compulsions of Airline related to "traveling of pregnant passenger"?
  • any expected issue faced by " 8 months' pregnant passenger" while the flight is of 16 hours atleast.
  • is there any issue if we are out of Canada since got the Health Card (since Aug'16) and what are those if any?
  • is there any "chance" of not having "Health Benefits" for Permanent Residents (i.e. Free of Cost)
  • how much time is required to have the passport of the new born?
  • how early we can travel back in case of C-section delivery?
  • what is procedure to take "health facility"? as per my info, we 1st need to visit nearby "walk in clinic" and they ll refer the case to the hospital afterwards?
  • what are the best/ cheapest "traveling options" during routine hospital doctor visit?
appreciate any further feedback on the subject.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As you haven't lived in Ontario for a year, you no longer have health coverage as you did not meet the requirements of OHIP. You would need to wait the 3 month waiting period before you would have coverage when you return. During that time you would be reaponsible for the costs associated to childbirth. To attempt to use your health card would be insurance fraud (a criminal act in Canada).
With a plan to return at such a late date in the pregnancy, you may also run into issues with your wife being allowed to board an airplane.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I'm in Canada. I'm afraid I don't offer private advice (I'm not an immigration consultant or lawyer). However I"m happy to answer any questions you post on the forum.

Information about Canada's immigration programs can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

Note that having a baby in Canada won't help you to immigrate.
Agree. Only the child will have the right of the soil.

I also read report from a local Chinese media that some parents were being investigated on their visitor visa after giving birth to their children. Since both parents are visitor visa holders, there is potential misrepresentation when the visitor visa was obtained and when they went through immigration.
They could face a ban to enter Canada after or have remarks/notes put on their files.

Last edited:

Yakup

Feb 7, 2018
Hello everyone,
Do you know how much cost of giving birth in Vancouver without health insurance, as a tourist ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello everyone,
Do you know how much cost of giving birth in Vancouver without health insurance, as a tourist ?
Budget at least $10,000. If the mother needs a c-section or has any complications requiring long hospital stay, the price could increase significnatly.

Also even though the baby is a Canadian citizen, they will not have healthcare if parents are just visitors. So if baby also has any complications, that is what will cost a fortune. There was an old case of visitors facing a $1 Million hospital bill from BC when their baby born there needed a long hospital stay.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone,
I also heard that some hospitals in greater vancouver area are not taking in patients for child birth if both parents don't have PR/citizenship/other valid work/study permits. They are over capacity already.

Reactions: Yakup

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I also heard that some hospitals in greater vancouver area are not taking in patients for child birth if both parents don't have PR/citizenship/other valid work/study permits. They are over capacity already.
If someone shows up to a hospital in labour about to give birth, they will not turn them away!

Reactions: Yakup

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello can you help me please my wife is pregnant in 8th month we want a delivery in my baby in canada can you knw me how many cost in baby birth in canada
We have all ready tourist visa for canada
You should make sure you have at least $10,000 saved up to cover the costs of the birth. However if there are any complications, the costs can end up being much higher.

You should be aware that when your wife arrives in Canada, entry into Canada is not guaranteed. CBSA generally doesn't like birth tourism and there's always some risk your wife could be denied entry and sent home on the next plane.