+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gift deed - amount of gift

gdjhernandez

Oct 31, 2020
I’ve recently decided to apply for express entry next year and I’m in the process of figuring out everything I need to do.

My only worry aside from assembling a perfect application is the proof of funds. I have little to no savings and my parents will be providing basically the entire amount (99% I would say) required to apply/immigrate as a gift, meaning that the gift deed will be my proof of funds alongside the affidavit, the bank statement showing the money transfer from my parents and the bank letter. Is this enough and acceptable? I’ve read conflicting information online, and some say that this is a red flag for the immigration officers and could lead to my application being rejected. I would like to confirm if this is true because it is basically the only aspect of the application process that I’m uncertain of. Thank you.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
This is acceptable as long as your gift deed makes it clear that you parents do NOT expect you to ever pay the money back ever and are really giving it to you for good.

Since the money is coming from your parents it's not such a big deal as this is quite common. If the money was coming from a distant uncle/unrelated friend it would look more suspicious.

IRCC needs to know that you actually have the money to spend, and you won't just turn around and return it as soon as you get your PR.

gdjhernandez

Oct 31, 2020
This is acceptable as long as your gift deed makes it clear that you parents do NOT expect you to ever pay the money back ever and are really giving it to you for good.

Since the money is coming from your parents it's not such a big deal as this is quite common. If the money was coming from a distant uncle/unrelated friend it would look more suspicious.

IRCC needs to know that you actually have the money to spend, and you won't just turn around and return it as soon as you get your PR.
Thank you very much! Just to confirm, would the notarized gift deed, affidavit, bank letter and bank statements showing the transaction be enough as proof of funds?

fbtcabio

Sep 10, 2020
hello what's the difference between the Gift Deed and Affidavit? Also i understand that I only need to have the Gift Deed notarized, and not apostilled? is this correct? thank you in advance.