+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting my pasport back

bimstory

Jun 2, 2011
Hi,

I sent out my visa application 3 weeks ago to the New York office and have not even heard from them ever since. I really need to get my passport back as I will be needing it to fly back home. At this point I'm willing to cancel my trip to Canada as I don't think its even possible anymore to receive my passport in time. Is is possible to go to the New York office and request to return my passport in person? Anyone else have any other suggestions as how to get my passport back? Or how did you guys go in expediting the application process if any of you tried this route.

Thanks for the help guys.

rvelezca

Jun 8, 2011
I am in the same situation. My passport was received by the Consulate in NYC on May 6, 2011. As of June 7th, I have not received it back. I have all my travel arrangements for June 14th, including a conference registration prepaid. I have sent a fax and an email. No response so far. I have seen that this is a pretty common problem among applicants. I sent today a prepaid Express mail envelope so they can send me my passport back faster if by tomorrow they have not mailed it yet (I got the impression that I was wasting my money because they seem pretty unresponsive). I am relatively relieved that I am not the exception. I guess I will end up losing a bunch of money but I will get my passport back.

rvelezca

Jun 8, 2011
Friday: no passport yet. I am supposed to leave on Tuesday. The only contact that I could make was through the consular services in Dallas. They answered the phone, but were not able to do anything. They told me to contact my embassy!

rvelezca

Jun 8, 2011
The passport did not come back. I had to cancel my trip. Now I have to wait and see if my passport is lost. I lost the registration to a conference, and five days in a hotel prepaid in Hotwire! Any ideas how to get the NY office to get me my passport back? I need to travel abroad soon. I contacted the Canadian embassy in Washington. They replied this:

"To whom it may concern

Please be advised to contact the office which is processing your application.

Kind regards
Visa Section"

Being a second class citizen of the world sucks! I feel completely violated by the Canadian Immigration service. They could not process a visa in five weeks!

rvelezca

Jun 8, 2011
Writing from Montreal! The passport came back one day after I was supposed to travel. I made it to Canada anyway. To be fair with the Canadian Consulate, they had shipped the passport in June 7, but for some weird reason it took one week to get to me (Priority mail). Send them an Express mail prepaid envelope from the beginning. It seems to me that they anyway wait to process it exactly for the deadline of your trip. Do not despair if you have not received any news from them; they just do not answer emails and faxes; the NY city office may be too busy. Send your passport to an office where you can directly send an email: Washington DC, Buffalo,....

ud

Jun 19, 2011
hey

does anyone know whether the NY office has walk-in hours ????? I need my passport urgently to fly back to my home country. I don't care about my Canadian visa

thanks

bauer5152

Jul 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rvelezca said:
Friday: no passport yet. I am supposed to leave on Tuesday. The only contact that I could make was through the consular services in Dallas. They answered the phone, but were not able to do anything. They told me to contact my embassy!
I also think so.

VivianLau

Jul 8, 2011
I am in the same boat. Waiting for 47 days already. No reply at all with my enquiries. I absolutely suggest everyone who needs a visa to visit Canada to avoid travelling to Canada if you don't have to. They really suck. I just wrote an email to the minister of their immigration department to complaint about their unresponsiveness. I hope more people can do that to bring this into their attention. It is ridicoulous that updating to a new computer system can slow things down for so long.

Jul 12, 2011
Hi

I sent our (mine, husband, one year old son) passport to NY office. It was received on 15 June 2011. Can anyone pls tell how much average time is required to get our passport back? We need our passport (with or without visa) latest by August 1st week. How long can we wait before requesting them to send our passport back?

Dreaming_Calgary

Star Member
Feb 7, 2011
AfzalivE said:
what are you people complaining about? It clearly says THREE MONTHS on their website.
I sent my appln on Jun 7th and their office received it on 8th ...I'm suppose to join my new job @ AB in the end of July...God alone knows when i would be getting my passports back.... I sent 2 enquiry emails after their mentioned processing time ..My employer faxed the NY-CIC office twice ... ON top of all this i'm AINP nominated applicant..[Its suppose to go thro expedite processing...]

Its really getting very tough to pass each and every single day without getting my package back...Everyday i get up and the first thing is tracking with my express label # and very frustrating to see no Item found for thsi label... :( :( :(

Dreaming_Calgary

Star Member
Feb 7, 2011
VivianLau said:
I am in the same boat. Waiting for 47 days already. No reply at all with my enquiries. I absolutely suggest everyone who needs a visa to visit Canada to avoid travelling to Canada if you don't have to. They really suck. I just wrote an email to the minister of their immigration department to complaint about their unresponsiveness. I hope more people can do that to bring this into their attention. It is ridicoulous that updating to a new computer system can slow things down for so long.

Did you get your passports back buddy? when did you file it with CIC office?

Dreaming_Calgary

Star Member
Feb 7, 2011
its 44th day today...no response yet ....5 status enquiry form my side and 3 faxes from my employer...How long its gonna go like this ? [:(]
Anyone like me?