+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married

DarrellFields

Jan 13, 2015
I need some help PLEASE....
I was born in the US....My Mother was born in Canada so that makes me a Canadian Citizen.... I have the Certificate.....I presently live in Canada..... I am engaged to a Canadian Citizen....We plan on moving to the states this summer.....
Here's the question.....
Should we get married here in Canada then move to the states...then... how can she get permanent residents/green card /SSI number ... stuff like that....
Or
Should we move to the states and get married there on the K1 visa thing ....then how do we her get permanent residents/green card /SSI number ... stuff like that....

VISA02

Oct 15, 2014
DarrellFields said:
I was born in the US....My Mother was born in Canada so that makes me a Canadian Citizen.... I have the Certificate.....I presently live in Canada..... I am engaged to a Canadian Citizen....We plan on moving to the states this summer.....
Here's the question.....
Should we get married here in Canada then move to the states...then... how can she get permanent residents/green card /SSI number ... stuff like that....
Or
Should we move to the states and get married there on the K1 visa thing ....then how do we her get permanent residents/green card /SSI number ... stuff like that....
To my understanding you only a citizen of born in Canada or have applied for citizenship! Your mom being canadian doent mean you canadain too cause you not born in canada

DarrellFields

Jan 13, 2015
Yes…..my Canadian Citizenship Certificate says effective date is my date of birth…44 years ago…I've only been here for 2 years….

ylmztncl

Jan 13, 2015
Hello,

I have some questions,
I live in BC,Canada for 4 years with the study permit and i am from Turkey, going to Vancouver island university. I had my athletic scholarship for 2 years and because I had to take two years of english as a second language classes to improve my English, they couldn't provide me anymore scholarship. Therefore; i have to international fees which so expensive that neither me nor my parents can afford it anymore. I have a girlfriend she is Canadian and we are dating for 3 years. I heard that if i could get a PR i can still pay domestic fees so me and my girlfriend thought that if we could become common law partners, she could provide that she could sponsor me so i can get a PR. However; we also thought that if we apply for common law, there are thousands of paperworks and almost 2 years to wait until we get the status. Therefore; we said that, in 2 years we might already get married so we decided to get married instead of common law partner because we already love each other enough to get married and we have been living together for 3 years. Is it easier to get a PR by getting married and what is the procedure?. And how long would it take? or is there any easier or quicker way.

Thank you
Yilmaz

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
DarrellFields said:
Here's the question.....
Or
this is a forum for immigration TO canada. you won't find many people with experience applying for immigration to the US. your best bet is to find a forum that is specific to US immigration. the processes are different and have nothing to do with eachother. since you are both canadian citizens, then there's no need for either of you to "immigrate" to canada.'

it doesn't matter where you get married. Canada and the US recognize marriages from each country. if your wife is a canadian citizen she does NOT qualify for a fiance visa in the us. you both are visa exempt from both countries. if you want to get married in the us, then she just needs to enter as a visitor. there is no special permission she needs to get married, except for the standard marriage license in the town you must get in order to legally get married.