+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married when file is in process

enyeeme

Apr 14, 2014
I did not leave Canada in the last 3+ years and I have 1115 days when filing my citizenship.
I applied in aug 22.2013 My file is in process since Oct 28th 2013. but no test date yet.

Recently I met my fiancée and a US citizen. We are planning to marry in US in 1 months time. I have US visitor visa and want to stay for a month in US and thereafter travel back and forth.

I strongly want to get my Canadian citizenship and be a Canadian citizen. Because I struggled a lot to get eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.

Should I inform CIC about marital status change after marriage.? / Will my would be marriage and the travel to U.S delay the process of getting my canadian citizenship?

Instead of being happy for getting married, I am confused and feel that something is holding me back.

bibouna

Jun 4, 2014
I also got married during my citizenship process and it didn't change anything. I mentioned it during my test/interview and the officer wrote in my file that's it. Enjoy your wedding, that's way more important than citizenship although I understand your concerns and your wish to become citizen trough a smooth process. In my case it didn't change anything. I was called for the oath ceremony, almost two months after the interview. As long as you have strong ties to Canada (house, work, family etc)and meet all the requirements, everything should be fine. There's is no reason to panic. You are entitled to a (private) life.

glitzedd

Jun 6, 2014
Your marital status matters if you want to change your name in the documentation during the citizenship process. Don't worry, getting married will not hinder your citizenship process. Good luck with everything!

enyeeme

Apr 14, 2014
thank you bibouna, and glitzed for the reply and wishes.

I don't have much stronger ties like family, or a house here in Canada. except I have strong bonding with Canada and adopted it already as my home country. I came as a student, was on work permit, and then got PR. In the last 3 years sometimes working in my field with a good paycheck and sometime unemployed and sometimes survival job. and after 3 years applied for citizenship. Though I was struggling financially, staying myself and trying to get a permanent job in my field, I am always confident that I will be having a good job and better life here in Canada. I never misused or taken any financial aid from the government though I was unemployed for a certain period.
I never planned to get marry someone staying outside Canada. It just happened that we liked each other to get married. My parents and his parents are getting older and want us to get settled soon in marriage life. My would be husband has strong ties with US like having a better job, and all his family members are in US. He is willing to sponsor me to US or he is also letting me to stay in Canada for my work and to get my Canadian citizenship. but for sure he cannot afford to come to stay with me leaving his job and his parents.

I am not sure whether Canada will own me as I put my effort for the past 6+ years all myself, and for the bonding I have with Canada to keep my identity as Canadian or it will disown me as I am marrying a US citizen and will be travelling to US back and forth.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"I AGREE TO ADVISE CIC IF ANY INFORMATION ON THIS FORM CHANGES BEFORE I TAKE THE OATH OF CITIZENSHIP"

This is what you can read on page 6 of the application form right before you sign.
Now nobody knows if you're getting married or not and they may never know. The only case you may think about twice is if one day you decide to sponsor your partner, then they will find out that you got married WHILE YOUR CITIZENSHIP WAS IN PROCESS. This could be a problem. I'm not sure but with all this talks about frauds, false declarations....you never know. So bottom line if you're not planning to sponsor your partner then no worries and don't bother telling them. But you think one day you will then try to get more info about the issue.

enyeeme

Apr 14, 2014
yes I will definitely inform CIC before I am invited to test date. But I am worried how CIC officer will consider my case as there are more chances that I will staying in US and can be consider me as a 'not a prospective Canadian' and ignoring my past 6 years effort.

bravepeople

Star Member
Feb 15, 2014
UpdATED TABLE

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avwv2JB05vdtdGQ1eWZHenJncjE5dnZHak1MRVkxd2c&usp=drive_web#gid=0