+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married or any other options?

ylmztncl

Jan 13, 2015
Hello,

I have some questions,
I live in BC,Canada for 4 years with the study permit and i am from Turkey, going to Vancouver island university. I had my athletic scholarship for 2 years and because I had to take two years of english as a second language classes to improve my English, they couldn't provide me anymore scholarship. Therefore; i have to international fees which so expensive that neither me nor my parents can afford it anymore. I have a girlfriend she is Canadian and we are dating for 3 years. I heard that if i could get a PR i can still pay domestic fees so me and my girlfriend thought that if we could become common law partners, she could provide that she could sponsor me so i can get a PR. However; we also thought that if we apply for common law, there are thousands of paperworks and almost 2 years to wait until we get the status. Therefore; we said that, in 2 years we might already get married so we decided to get married instead of common law partner because we already love each other enough to get married and we have been living together for 3 years. Is it easier to get a PR by getting married and what is the procedure?. And how long would it take? or is there any easier or quicker way.

Thank you
Yilmaz

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You follow the same process to get PR regardless of whether you are married or common law. So either way you will have to fill out the same paperwork and wait.

ylmztncl

Jan 13, 2015
Yes but plus you have to wait 10+8 months to get accepted to become a common law partner before even you apply for PR.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ylmztncl said:
Yes but plus you have to wait 10+8 months to get accepted to become a common law partner before even you apply for PR.

Thanks
I don't understand what you are saying. In order to be classified as common law, you must first live together for a year (12 months). I don't know what 10+8 months you are referring to.

When it comes to applying for PR, the process and the wait times are the same regardless of whether you are common law or married.

ylmztncl

Jan 13, 2015
scylla said:
I don't understand what you are saying. In order to be classified as common law, you must first live together for a year (12 months). I don't know what 10+8 months you are referring to.

When it comes to applying for PR, the process and the wait times are the same regardless of whether you are common law or married.
When i checked from cic website about the processing times of the application of common law partnership, it says that there are 2 steps of the application,10 months is the first step if you can pass the first step, they are automatically starting to the second step if you cant they send the all documents back to you and they want more detailed or missing documents.For the 2nd step which takes 8 months( it depends on the country where you are from) and if you get accepted then you are becoming a common law partner with your spouse and then you are able to apply for the Permanent residency. Even if you live for a year with your spouse which me and my girlfriend living together for 3 years, you still have to apply to the immigration service to become a official common law partners.

I might be wrong though i am just telling you what i think i know according to my researches.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It sounds like you are talking about the inland sponsorship process. The processing times you quoted are out of date. The processing times are actually 17 months for the first stage - and then approximately 8 months for the second stage. You need to be looking at the official CIC web site for accurate processing times.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

Once again, it does not matter if you are common law or married - you must still go through the same process and the same processing times. There is no separate common law sponsorship process. The same application process is used for both common law and married couples.