+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married in India

gurps_cov

Sep 2, 2009
I am a dual citizen (British & Canadian).
I am currently residing in the UK. I have plans to go to India and get married.
My plan is to stay in india for 2 weeks. I will then come back to the UK and then go to Canada.

When I get to Canada, my plan is to sponser my spouse to join me in Canada since that is where I want to settle down.
Can anyone foresee any problems with this plan?
I have heard stories about sponsorship being denied. Canadian government is becoming cautious of people going to India and marrying their relatives in order to get them into Canada.

I have been advised by people that I should go to India for 4-6 weeks rather than two weeks since it will help my application for spousal sponsorship. I guess they want to make sure that the relationship/marriage is "real".

Can anyone share any views on this?

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
do you have a relationship with your potential wife? if yes for how long?
or are you going to go see her/talk to her for first time?

gurps_cov

Sep 2, 2009
unfortunatley, its going to be thhe first time. I was thinking of starting some communication via email/telephone NOW since I wont be going to india until December.

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
yes you should start SOMETHING now so you have proof of relationship prior to marriage. make a lot of emails/chat logs/phone calls/ etc
gather up all the "proof" you can get from now till december. The time spent in India wont make a difference really, as long as u have proof that its a real relationship. Take lots of pix when you are there.

I wish i did the same...
good luck!

gurps_cov

Sep 2, 2009
Do you think its a good idea to move to Canada before going to india to get married?
I'd rather avoid any complications which may arise from me flying in from the UK to india and then going to canada to apply for my spouse. Initially I was worried about going to Canada and being unemployed, however after reading the Canadian Immigration website it seems that for spousal sponsorship you do not need to declare your income.