+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting EI and social assistance - spousal sponsorship

LOLUCHAP

Star Member
Jan 3, 2017
quick question -

what if tomorrow I lose my job in canada. And then I apply to get EI (Employment insurance).

So getting EI will be counted as social assistance???

Help me understand what is social assistance means?

thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No issues being on EI. EI is not social assistance.

Social assistance is welfare. You need to not take welfare if you want to sponsor.

peri.shaw

Feb 5, 2023
quick question -

what if tomorrow I lose my job in canada. And then I apply to get EI (Employment insurance).

So getting EI will be counted as social assistance???

Help me understand what is social assistance means?

thank you
In 2023, can you sponsor if you are collecting REGULAR EI?
Because REGULAR EI is NOT social assistance
But im reading that CIC is saying that REGULAR EI is not considered as income.
It's only saying that you cannot sponsor if you are collecting social assistance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's only saying that you cannot sponsor if you are collecting social assistance
Where are you 'reading that?'

peri.shaw

Feb 5, 2023
Where are you 'reading that?'
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility

Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year.

If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application (see your checklist for more details). If you live in Quebec, you don’t have to submit this form to IRCC. See subsection 1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for more information.

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.

Note: Maternity, parental and sickness benefits paid under the Employment Insurance Act are considered income. You can still sponsor, if you’re eligible, while on these benefits. Other payments, such as employment insurance and federal training allowances, are not considered income.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility

Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year.

If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application (see your checklist for more details). If you live in Quebec, you don’t have to submit this form to IRCC. See subsection 1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for more information.

If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.

Note: Maternity, parental and sickness benefits paid under the Employment Insurance Act are considered income. You can still sponsor, if you’re eligible, while on these benefits. Other payments, such as employment insurance and federal training allowances, are not considered income.
What is your question? You are responding to a post from 2017.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You wrote:
You can sponsor if you are collecting regular EI. It is not social assistance. But neither is it income.

Therefore, your income (other sources not incl EI) must be above the cutoff. That may be difficult - but is not impossible. it is not the same thing as having taken social assistance - it's just zero income for sponsorship purposes.

If that's what you meant, I'm in agreement.