+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting another study permit after PGWP without working??

Jukeblam

Aug 14, 2013
Hi,
My wife is coming over to Ontario for a PGD on a 1yr study permit.

As well, we plan to have a baby right after her first year of study- so it doesn't affect her schoolwork.

1. Will there be an issue getting a PGWP after the studies, even while she is pregnant?? ???

2. Also, if getting the PGWP would be no problem, can she easily get another study permit after the PGWP?? noting that she would not have worked for the greater part of the PGWP period as she would be caring for the baby.

(We both want her to have her Masters after the PGD & also want to start 'churning out the 'duplicates' on time too!! ;D)

I, on the other hand, will not be accompanying her due to my job in my country.

Would there be any problem achieving this?

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jukeblam said:
Hi,
My wife is coming over to Ontario for a PGD on a 1yr study permit.

As well, we plan to have a baby right after her first year of study- so it doesn't affect her schoolwork.

1. Will there be an issue getting a PGWP after the studies, even while she is pregnant?? ???

2. Also, if getting the PGWP would be no problem, can she easily get another study permit after the PGWP?? noting that she would not have worked for the greater part of the PGWP period as she would be caring for the baby.

(We both want her to have her Masters after the PGD & also want to start 'churning out the 'duplicates' on time too!! ;D)

I, on the other hand, will not be accompanying her due to my job in my country.

Would there be any problem achieving this?
I dont see a problem in doing this. You need to know a few things though -
First - You can get as many study permits as you like provided you can prove that you are studying and all other requirements...However, you can get PGWP only once.

For example - I do my bachelors in canada and get PGWP ..work for a few months and then plan to do my masters - after masters - I am no longer eligible for PGWP since I have already used it once.
So if your wife get a study permit and the a one year work permit, during which she doesnt work and then gets another study permit...she will not get another PGWP after the second degree.
It all depends on your what your family plan is ...do you want to settle in Canada? if yes, then you should have a longer work permit which allows you to apply and get PR.
If you just want your wife to get masters and return to your country...then it does not matter...yes you can get a study permit then PGWP and then another study permit.

Second, being pregnant does not matter - whether for student visa or work permit...espc if she gets pregnant after coming to canada and get her PGWP.

Jukeblam

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for the response.

After the 2nd study permit period, would she then be entitled to a 3-yr work permit or PR as she would have gotten 2 years study time by then -albeit with a gap between?

The plan is not to settle in Canada permanently, but study, work for a while and return to home country.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jukeblam said:
Thanks for the response.

After the 2nd study permit period, would she then be entitled to a 3-yr work permit or PR as she would have gotten 2 years study time by then -albeit with a gap between?

The plan is not to settle in Canada permanently, but study, work for a while and return to home country.
Like i said, if your wife chooses to get a PGWP after first degree...she will not get any PGWP after 2nd degree...If she does 2 one year programs - I am not sure if they count it as 2 years or no...I have read different things on this forum - some say they were able to get a 3 year WP this way..others say it does not work. Escp since you will have a gap..i Dont think you will get a 3 year work permit..

PR is a different story altogether - your wife be might eligible for PR if you have a valid work permit and experience in one of the NOC codes in demand at that time...Demand changes every year...cant say anything for sure.
Your wife will also be eligible to various Provincial nominee programs - basic requirement is a job and a valid work permit and degree from a recognized college or university..again this varies for different provinces...you will have to check Ontario specifically.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should also make sure that your wife will be covered by the health care system when she gives birth - otherwise you will have to pay for all of the costs out of your own pocket. If your wife has a PGWP but isn't working, then I don't believe she will qualify for OHIP.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jukeblam said:
Would she qualify for the OHIP if she was working at the time of delivery??
Open work permit holders (including those in CIC’s Post-Graduation Work Permit Program) may be eligible for Ontario health insurance coverage provided they are employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of six months, have a valid work permit during this time, and they:

maintain their primary place of residence in Ontario; and are
physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period; and are
physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.

Refer - http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

Jukeblam

Aug 14, 2013
Ok. I also plan to come for my 2yr Msc, but only after she has completed the second year of her studies.

I assume she would be eligible for spousal work permit then- as my dependant??

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jukeblam said:
Ok. I also plan to come for my 2yr Msc, but only after she has completed the second year of her studies.

I assume she would be eligible for spousal work permit then- as my dependant??
Yes that is correct. She will be eligible. However, you need to keep a few things in mind...your plan is not as easy as it sounds...your wife comes studies works, then you come study she works - raises questions to Visa Officer who will see your application.
So when you apply for your visa and if your wife is already in Canada - most likely you will not get approved.

Jukeblam

Aug 14, 2013
My thoughts too.

What if I show ties to my home country via 'Company Sponsorship'?

As there is a bond tied to the sponsorship, one has to return and work at least 2x the length of education period sponsored.

Or is it better to just have her return, before I put in my own application??

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure how well CIC accepts that...but you can try...Safest is to show that your wife ( and if you have a child ) are in India at time of application.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jukeblam said:
Ok thanks! BTW, I'm not from India.....
Haha...my bad..I am just used to writing that.