+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting a Driver's License in Alberta (Coming from US)

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to ask this in but I've seen a few questions relating to driver's licenses here so I figure to ask here.

Long story short. I applied for proof of citizenship and if approved, I will go on and apply for a Canadian Passport. Once I get those I have plans on moving to Canada and work for a bit. I will be coming from California. I've had my license for 7 years already. While looking up how to obtain a license in Alberta there's a exchange program where you can exchange your license within 90 days but that means I have to turn in my license from California and I don't want to do that since I want to maintain it as I will be going back to California often as well. I know I'll need to have a Alberta DL if I want to buy a used car. I will also have to check with the car insurance if they'll cover me in Canada as well. All in all, what are my options? Is there a way to hold 2 DL? What's the whole process?

Any help is appreciated :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chaulklet said:
Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum to ask this in but I've seen a few questions relating to driver's licenses here so I figure to ask here.

Long story short. I applied for proof of citizenship and if approved, I will go on and apply for a Canadian Passport. Once I get those I have plans on moving to Canada and work for a bit. I will be coming from California. I've had my license for 7 years already. While looking up how to obtain a license in Alberta there's a exchange program where you can exchange your license within 90 days but that means I have to turn in my license from California and I don't want to do that since I want to maintain it as I will be going back to California often as well. I know I'll need to have a Alberta DL if I want to buy a used car. I will also have to check with the car insurance if they'll cover me in Canada as well. All in all, what are my options? Is there a way to hold 2 DL? What's the whole process?

Any help is appreciated :)
1. You don't have a choice, you can't hold two DLs. You will have to surrender your California license.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

1. You don't have a choice, you can't hold two DLs. You will have to surrender your California license.
2. But he can drive his California plated car to Alberta and back!

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
steaky said:
2. But he can drive his California plated car to Alberta and back!
Since I wanted to get a used car, is it possible to get a used car from california and drive it up there and use that as day to day or would I have to "import" it and pay the taxes and stuff like that? It seems like I will have to get an Alberta DL even though I will be going back and forth and I can't just use my cali DL to drive.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chaulklet said:
Since I wanted to get a used car, is it possible to get a used car from california and drive it up there and use that as day to day or would I have to "import" it and pay the taxes and stuff like that? It seems like I will have to get an Alberta DL even though I will be going back and forth and I can't just use my cali DL to drive.
Canada does not want you to hold 2 DL's so when you exchange, they take your California license. If California doesn't care that you have two, once you go back, you can get them to issue the California license again without giving up the AB license. As long as you don't tell people that you have two and you don't go waving both of them around if you get stopped, it should be fine.