+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gap in 5 year period of passport

jayjayjeep

Nov 18, 2021
Hey guys, need some help real quick. I've applied for my citizenship on end of August 2021 and got an email saying:

"There is a gap in the validity period of the passport covering the (5) years immediately before the date of the application."

"Please provide an explanation why the passport does not cover the entire period of time from (August 2016) to (date my passport was issued) and whether you traveled outside Canada during that period."

So: My passport was issued in May 2021, and I landed PR in May 2018.

What would I my explanation be, like what would I write? (I did not travel outside of the country during the 5 year period or even before.

Also, it stated: "It appears that you have a passport or travel document that was valid during your five (5) year eligibility period but haven’t provided the biographical page. Please provide a colour photocopy of the biographical page(‘s) which include your name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date."

- I fully sent them the required image of my passport, so is there a reason why they are asking for it again? I double checked my application and everything.

wink

May 25, 2021
Hey guys, need some help real quick. I've applied for my citizenship on end of August 2021 and got an email saying:

"There is a gap in the validity period of the passport covering the (5) years immediately before the date of the application."

"Please provide an explanation why the passport does not cover the entire period of time from (August 2016) to (date my passport was issued) and whether you traveled outside Canada during that period."

What would I my explanation be, like what would I write? (I did not travel outside of the country during the 5 year period or even before.

Also, it stated: "It appears that you have a passport or travel document that was valid during your five (5) year eligibility period but haven’t provided the biographical page. Please provide a colour photocopy of the biographical page(‘s) which include your name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date."

- I fully sent them the required image of my passport, so is there a reason why they are asking for it again? I double checked my application and everything.
How many passports you held during your eligibility period and did you declare all of them under Q14?

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

Read the requirements again. It's right in your post. Are you sure you followed them all?

Did you submit any passports you held before May 2021? The second statement refers to previous passports you held during the eligibility period (from August 2016 onwards).

Don.Mia

Dec 20, 2021
Hello all,

I have received the same email from the Citizenship Officer. To those who had the same problem before, can you guys share what your letter of explanation looks like? I badly need a template or sample. Much appreciated your help. Thank you in advance.

Elly400

Aug 21, 2018
Hi I received the same email today, can you please share how you got it resolved. And the explanation letter as well please

Reactions: ru.sharma

Elly400

Aug 21, 2018
Hello all,

I have received the same email from the Citizenship Officer. To those who had the same problem before, can you guys share what your letter of explanation looks like? I badly need a template or sample. Much appreciated your help. Thank you in advance.

Hi, can you please what steps you followed for this issue.

Elly400

Aug 21, 2018

Hi, can you please share what steps you followed for this issue.

Last edited:

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi, can you please share what steps you followed for this issue.
This was posted well over a year ago, without any follow up.

Long story short, IRCC wants to see ALL pages(including blank) of ALL passports that you held during your eligibility period. This is the only way they can confirm your travel history which you have submitted in the application. If there are any non-Eng/Fr stamps on those passports, make sure you have a translation as backup because it is likely to be asked, esp if you have a history of travel outside Canada during your EP.

If you had a gap in between passports, simply write a letter saying that you did not have a passport for xyz period for xyz reason. State the facts exactly as they are however weird they may sound.

ru.sharma

Apr 21, 2023
Hi I received the same email today, can you please share how you got it resolved. And the explanation letter as well please
Hi, i received the same email today. Can you please advise how you resolved it? i just have 1 day gap in my passports. did you provide the documents online or sent it by mail?

Guti1987

Sep 29, 2020
Hi Guys, I am in the same boat. Received the following from IRCC "
"There is a gap in the validity period of the passport covering the (5) years immediately before the date of the application.
Please provide an explanation why the passport does not cover the entire period of time from JULY 09, 2019 to JULY 08, 2024 and whether you traveled outside Canada during that period."

My PR application was approved in March 2020 but I could not travel due to Covid restrictions. I was in India the entire time and my Passport was valid too (issues 2018 till 2028). Once I recieved the etravel authorization in Oct 2020 only then I flew to Canada. THis is the reason, or am I interpreting what they are asking incorrectly?!

I am stumped by the ques, since I came to canada in Oct 2020 and received my PR card then. I have provided them with my passport copy and PR card copy and wondering why they asked me this!! Kindly let me know if I am missing anything or my reason is a valid one. Appreciate your help guys!!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi Guys, I am in the same boat. Received the following from IRCC "
"There is a gap in the validity period of the passport covering the (5) years immediately before the date of the application.
Please provide an explanation why the passport does not cover the entire period of time from JULY 09, 2019 to JULY 08, 2024 and whether you traveled outside Canada during that period."

My PR application was approved in March 2020 but I could not travel due to Covid restrictions. I was in India the entire time and my Passport was valid too (issues 2018 till 2028). Once I recieved the etravel authorization in Oct 2020 only then I flew to Canada. THis is the reason, or am I interpreting what they are asking incorrectly?!

I am stumped by the ques, since I came to canada in Oct 2020 and received my PR card then. I have provided them with my passport copy and PR card copy and wondering why they asked me this!! Kindly let me know if I am missing anything or my reason is a valid one. Appreciate your help guys!!
That question is for having two passports and renewing your passport after a gap of days/month when the first one expired. That does not look like a case for you. You have a single passport from 2018 - 2028