+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gain permanent residency through spouse student visa? - please advise

masky007

Aug 11, 2016
Hello,

We are married couple and we want to immigrate permanently to Canada (Vancouver or Toronto preferably)
My idea is this:
-My wife gets accepted in college 1- year program. (as is the cheapest) (please if you know of comparably cheap college programs in Canada share some links).
-I attain visa to come and work in Canada through my wife. (i qualify as skilled worker in canada Type B NOC:5241 with 3 years work experience) but i don't have enough points to directly apply as immigration skilled worker - because my highest education level is high school diploma. HOWEVER if my wife gets student Visa and get in Canada it's much easier for companies to hire me, because i already have work permit and companies don't need to issue visa for me and i am already there :). After i get hired i will gain 1 year Canadian working experience. (that gives me enough points to qualify for work permit in my case (as i tested myself on the eligibility test on the official Canadian immigration website)
-I apply for permanent residency

Question1: Is my idea viable? Or i'am missing something crucial in the process.
Question2: Can i attain permanent residency through job offer while i am being on spouse sponsored visa? (When i get the job if i apply for skilled worker class Type B)
Question3: Can my wife sponsor me visa if we go other than Quebec(please see the quoted text bellow it confuses me - is this only viable if you enroll in Quebec?)

Determine your eligibility
Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a work permit if:

you are a full-time student at:
a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or
a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
you have a valid study permit
source: cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

Please share some colleges programs that are relatively cheap (but also qualify for my wife to sponsor me visa)

THANK YOU

EDIT: or any other idea/workaround?

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
masky007 said:
Hello,

We are married couple and we want to immigrate permanently to Canada (Vancouver or Toronto preferably)
My idea is this:
-My wife gets accepted in college 1- year program. (as is the cheapest) (please if you know of comparably cheap college programs in Canada share some links).
-I attain visa to come and work in Canada through my wife. (i qualify as skilled worker in canada Type B NOC:5241 with 3 years work experience) but i don't have enough points to directly apply as immigration skilled worker - because my highest education level is high school diploma. HOWEVER if my wife gets student Visa and get in Canada it's much easier for companies to hire me, because i already have work permit and companies don't need to issue visa for me and i am already there :). After i get hired i will gain 1 year Canadian working experience. (that gives me enough points to qualify for work permit in my case (as i tested myself on the eligibility test on the official Canadian immigration website)

Question2: Can i attain permanent residency through job offer while i am being on spouse sponsored visa? (When i get the job if i apply for skilled worker class Type B)
Question3: Can my wife sponsor me visa if we go other than Quebec(please see the quoted text bellow it confuses me - is this only viable if you enroll in Quebec?)

Please share some colleges programs that are relatively cheap (but also qualify for my wife to sponsor me visa)

THANK YOU

I think you're missing something important. 1 year of Canadian experience will give you few additional points in EE but with just high school diploma I doubt you can reach even 450 points in EE. To gain additional 600 points for job offer you need not just "job offer" but LMIA backed job offer which is hard to get no matter if you inside or outside Canada.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
pfse said:
I think you're missing something important. 1 year of Canadian experience will give you few additional points in EE but with just high school diploma I doubt you can reach even 450 points in EE. To gain additional 600 points for job offer you need not just "job offer" but LMIA backed job offer which is hard to get no matter if you inside or outside Canada.
450 no no 470 now

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
masky007 said:
Hello,

My idea is this:

THANK YOU

do u know how many points u have in express entry now? use the calculator and post ur points
https://www.canadavisa.com/comprehensive-ranking-score-calculator.html

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
mead said:
do u know how many points u have in express entry now? use the calculator and post ur points
https://www.canadavisa.com/comprehensive-ranking-score-calculator.html
so the OP implies only has a high school diploma is that in graphic arts given as per noc 5241 requirement is either a degree or a college diploma in graphic art.

There really are no cheap colleges or unis in Canada for international students so expect to pay 25000 to 30000 cdn per year for fees and living costs.

Jobs in Noc 5241 sound as though it could be a niche market where there could be a lot of competition with graduates just saying so maybe check out the current market and requirements.

The plan also assumes the wife will get a PGWP post study given it would be impossible for a spouse to gain 12 months experience alongside just a 12 month study permit taking into account finding a job in the first instance. Plus and others can correct me believe that for the PGWp the wife will need to have a 0 a or b job for the spouse to continue working post study permit but my memory bit vague on that so the plan is a bit shaky if the wife cannot meet the conditions post graduation.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp

masky007

Aug 11, 2016
Before i reply to your comments can some1 answer my original asked question (i am most worried about that because the whole idea is based on it:

Determine your eligibility

a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or
a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees
pfse said:
When i try the official cic website these are the questions i enter and the result i get:
Code:
Q:What would you like to do in Canada?
A:Work

Q:How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
A:Permanently

Q:What is the country/territory of your passport/travel document?
A:(in my case not relevant really)

Q:What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
A:(in my case not relevant really)

Q:Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
A:No

Q:What is your date of birth?
A:28y old

Q:What is your main reason to want to come to Canada?
A:Find a permanent job in Canada

Q:Which province or territory do you plan to live in?
If you don't know yet, choose the province or territory you are most interested in.
A:British Columbia

Q:Canada's official languages are English and French. You need to submit language test results for all programs under Express Entry, even if English or French is your first 
language. Which language test did you take for your first official language?
A:IELTS (score - avarage score 6 - i assume this but i think i can score higher)

Q:Do you have other language results? Which language test did you take for your second official language?
A:None

[b]Q:In the last three years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have in Canada? It must have been full-time (or an equal amount in part time).
A: One year or more

Q:During this period, which National Occupation Classification (NOC) level is most of the experience in? If you do not have any Canadian work experience during this period, please choose "None of the above". 
A:Skill level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)

Express Entry

Based on your answers, you appear to be eligible for Express Entry[/b]
The last two questions are these (most important)
Q:In the last three years, how many years of skilled work experience do you have in Canada? It must have been full-time (or an equal amount in part time).
A: One year or more
Q:During this period, which National Occupation Classification (NOC) level is most of the experience in? If you do not have any Canadian work experience during this period, please choose "None of the above".
A:Skill level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)

It dose not even asks me for more questions (but i have to have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience - that's my idea though - no job offer here)

mead said:
Thank you for the link i tested myself i get 298 points (i might score higher with IELTS, i assumed i got only average score of 6) - but please take a note what i answered to pfse - (the quoted text above from the official cic website eligibility tool)
These results are based on the assumption that i'd have at least 1 year minimum of canadian work experience (but than again is this tool really accurate? Why on the official website i turn out to be eligible??)
Code:
Factor	Maximum points	Your points
Age	100	100
Education	140	28
1st Official Language	128	64
2nd Official Language	22	0
Canadian work experience	70	35
ACCOMPANYING SPOUSE OR COMMON-LAW PARTNER (40 maximum)
Education	10	9
Language	20	12
Canadian work	10	0
SKILL TRANSFERABILITY COMBOS (100 maximum)
Education (50 Maximum)		
With language	50	0
With Canadian work	50	0
Foreign Work (50 Maximum)		
With language	50	25
With Canadian work	50	25
Trade certificate (50 Maximum)		
With language	50	0
PROVINCIAL NOMINATION AND ARRANGED EMPLOYMENT (600 maximum)
A Provincial nomination certificate	600	0
A Qualifying offer of arranged employment	600	0
Bs65 said:
so the OP implies only has a high school diploma is that in graphic arts given as per noc 5241 requirement is either a degree or a college diploma in graphic art.

There really are no cheap colleges or unis in Canada for international students so expect to pay 25000 to 30000 cdn per year for fees and living costs.

Jobs in Noc 5241 sound as though it could be a niche market where there could be a lot of competition with graduates just saying so maybe check out the current market and requirements.

The plan also assumes the wife will get a PGWP post study given it would be impossible for a spouse to gain 12 months experience alongside just a 12 month study permit taking into account finding a job in the first instance. Plus and others can correct me believe that for the PGWp the wife will need to have a 0 a or b job for the spouse to continue working post study permit but my memory bit vague on that so the plan is a bit shaky if the wife cannot meet the conditions post graduation.

cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/policy.asp
Isn't noc 5241 requirement is either a degree or a college diploma in graphic art or relevant work experience (i have 3+ years relevant work experience in the feature film industry - not in Canada though)
What is PGWP post study?
You got me confused with the last sentence - (what should my wife needs to have? A job? so i'd be able to work? - shes there to study) please can you clear this up for me?

THANK YOU ALL for helping me figure this out, means allot to me! (I am desperate to come in Canada...)

edit: formating

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
What is it that you do in film? It's booming right now. In Toronto all departments are screaming for people, apart from animation. A big company just went bankrupt. But it's a fickle industry. There can be months with nothing or like now, I'm saying no to jobs because I can not physically work more than I do.

Pgwp - it's the post graduate work permit your wife would be elligible (not guaranteed) if she graduated a program in Canada. It's valid for the same duration of studies, max 3 years.

I would reverse your idea. Find a college that teaches a film diploma program and you apply to that. (Just NOT Toronto Film School as you can't get a pgwp after you graduate). Then you apply to get a pgwp. Let your wife work instead. I have a feeling you stand better chance that way.

rivalkiran

Jul 28, 2016
I think the process is not as simple as you are thinking. Better to apply PR after your wife graduates. If you are looking for a cheap university, try the university of Saskatchewan, they have only 6-7000 CAD/ year for international students. The University of Alberta is also not so expensive, it has around 9000 CAD/year.

masky007

Aug 11, 2016
yyzstudent said:
What is it that you do in film? It's booming right now. In Toronto all departments are screaming for people, apart from animation. A big company just went bankrupt. But it's a fickle industry. There can be months with nothing or like now, I'm saying no to jobs because I can not physically work more than I do.

Pgwp - it's the post graduate work permit your wife would be elligible (not guaranteed) if she graduated a program in Canada. It's valid for the same duration of studies, max 3 years.

I would reverse your idea. Find a college that teaches a film diploma program and you apply to that. (Just NOT Toronto Film School as you can't get a pgwp after you graduate). Then you apply to get a pgwp. Let your wife work instead. I have a feeling you stand better chance that way.
I am Compositor/Paint artist/Extractor/Matchmove artist. (3 years in full time job and 5 years actually with my freelancing +2 more as hobbiest)
I applied everywhere (really every studio i could find that had open jobs and those who didn't had) and i haven't got a job offer yet (it has not passed a whole month but still.. some of the companies notified me that they found better matching candidates - but i really believe that Canadian citizens and permanent residence have much higher advantage - i believe it's real pain in the *** to sponsor foreign worker - so that's why i don't want to limit myself only to wait for a job offer for now).

Also thank you for the idea, but i am looking for the cheapest collage program - all the arts and animation college i found are expensive Money are really tight (especially from a eastern-europe perspective)... (and really i would be able to tutor the guys there.. i know because i do tutor intern guys where i work)

Have you worked in the industry? What role?

Is pgwp - college? ( i intended for her to get accepted 1-2 year college program ) but please can you answer this to me? (it confuses me)

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Yeah, animation is tanking.

Pgwp = post graduate work permit. It's not a college. Google it.

Move to Budapest. Canadian shows film there too.

Durham college has a film program. It's 2 years and cheaper than others.