+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full Time?

browni

Aug 6, 2009
Hey everyone!
I've graduated from a university and got a job a couple weeks ago. The company I am working for had to reduce its work days from mon-friday to mon-thurs (4 days a week) due to recession. If I keep working like this I work just 28 hours a week. with this work hours, can I get PR with Canadian Experience Class? I called CIC today and rep gave me hours I have to work for a year in a company and I calculated the number that I have to work in a week is 37.5 hours\week. Another confusion is that even if I work 5 days in this company, that makes 35 hours/week not 37.5 hours/week because I work 7 hours a day. How about that?

Another question coming from the position I am working. I graduated from a mechanical engineering and I am working in a machine part manufacturing company. However my position is not completly engineering position, it is more likely manufacturing technologist. Is it really a big problem or If I get a nice explained letter from my company saying what I have done and the things related to my study, is it really enough or am I going away from my PR?

Thanks in advance

SimzGarry

Aug 23, 2009
Hi,

I guess you have to have at least 1950 hrs of full time work exp in one year.

About your job, If your are on open work permit, and your job description is similar to the one stated on the NOC website for your particular job, then You should be ok.

DO you have open work permit?

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To be considered as a full time base for the CEC, you need at least 37,5 per week not less.

For your second question, it doesn't matter whether you work in your field of study or not as long as your work experience falls under skill level 0 or A or B.

H

healknight

IF I am a draftman, what is my skill, level 0 or A or B ?

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
healknight said:
IF I am a draftman, what is my skill, level 0 or A or B ?

Your skill level is : B

Drafting Technologists and Technicians NOC Code :(2253)

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2253&val65=draftsman

OR

Mapping and Related Technologists and Technicians NOC Code : (2255)

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2255&val65=draftsman

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Ok, please tell me there's hope in the CEC class ...

In January, I will have been working in Canada for 2 years on a TFW visa... I am a full-time salaried employee, Skill Level A, and work about 40-50 hours/week in reality. It IS a full-time professional job, full benefits, etc.

Unfortunately, my contract reads 33.75 hours/week by the terms of some screwy union that I don't even belong to. (Contract also states no overtime for hours worked in excess of 33.75)

My boss is at sea as to what he can write in my letter RE: hours worked. He recognizes that I work more than 37.5 hours per week (not that we keep records - everyone works more than the contract hours), but thinks he has to state what is in my contract.

Since I have slowly realized that I am not eligible under the FSW program and will have to withdraw my application there (on another technicality), I was REALLY hoping that CEC would be my new Plan A. To be routed by another technicality would pretty much send me OVER THE BORDER :)

So - I guess my questions are:

1) Is there any chance that if my boss describes my actual hours vs contractually required hours, that it will be accepted?

2) If they can only go by what is in my contract, am I flat out ineligible, or would I be eligible after working 3900 hours (that works out to approx. 12 extra weeks)?

It's NEVER easy...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
OK, I think I found the answer to my question 2... I know I read this before, but couldn't remember if it was for the FSW or CEC class...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/immigrate/cec/cec-faq07.asp

"Does part-time work experience count toward meeting the requirements for work experience?'

'Yes, but it will take you longer to accumulate the amount of hours necessary to apply than an applicant who has worked full-time."

So, yes, I will be eligible, I just have to wait a little longer to apply...

So, my question 1 remains...

browni

Aug 6, 2009
Well, thanks for your replies. Actually I found the answers for some of questions. CIC says we have to work 1950 hours total. (doesnt necceserilly in one year)We can wok 20 hrs/wk but then to be eligible takes longer than one year.

Now another qestion I need to ask is about the salary. I do have a open work pemit, which means I can work wherever I want but do you think immigration reject my applicatio just because my pay rate is lower than the market?

browni

Aug 6, 2009
YES I HAVE..

SimzGarry said:
Hi,

I guess you have to have at least 1950 hrs of full time work exp in one year.

About your job, If your are on open work permit, and your job description is similar to the one stated on the NOC website for your particular job, then You should be ok.

DO you have open work permit?