+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full time teacher paid vacation

antti

Aug 1, 2023
I'm a full time (40 hours per regular week), and have been employed for a year in Ontario.

I work in a private school board in a middle school. I get summer vacation (5 weeks), march break (2 weeks), December break (2 weeks). In total 9 weeks. Paid as usual. Receive payroll semi-monthly as usual.

My payrolls and employment reference letter don't mention 'vacation' explicitly - they just render my vacation weeks weekly hour the same way as teaching weeks.

In this case, can my summer vacation, march break and December break count?

PS: I know the OP states "reasonable", yet it doesn't define "reasonable". It only states, "'for example', 2 weeks of vacation ..." without referring to paid or unpaid, nor giving an exact upper limit of paid vacation. The realistic expectation per profession is not mentioned either.

antti

Aug 1, 2023
It's a common sense for teacher to work much more than 40 hours per week during the school year and 0 over the above-mentioned break/vacations. I feel it's really unfair if IRCC just ignore the reality in my profession. But I'm ready to take any advice if you experienced yourself.

The IRCC law makes it very vague. Even lawyer cannot give me an exact upper limit of vacation counted in my case.

antti

Aug 1, 2023
In the past year (52 weeks) of full time working
-39 paid working (teaching) weeks
-4 paid working (administrative/preparation) weeks
-9 paid non-working weeks