+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW application refusal for remote foreign work experience

drxaviert

Dec 16, 2020
Ok. Sorry. Count it as foreign experience.
Hi Naturgrl! I've been reading through your answers in this thread and they're very helpful. I'm kinda in a similar situation and was wondering if you could help me clarify my case?

So I have 2 years of Canadian wok experience already and my score is 492, this upcoming September I'll have 3 years of Canadian work experience and my score will be 502.

But the problem is that my OWP is expiring the end of next year, so I'm looking for ways to increase it. I'm thinking of applying and working remotely for a foreign company while still living in Canada. This company has nothing to do with Canada. I'm not sure by doing this, I can claim it as foreign work experience? I have done a bit of research on this and getting a lot of mixed answers.

Jul 31, 2024
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. I just want to ask for some advice. I got my refusal letter stating that the officer is not satisfied that I was outside of Canada during my foreign work experience from the time that I was studying full-time here in Canada (2022-2023). This is what my background looks like:
  • 2020-2022: working full-time & hybrid in a foreign country
  • 2022-2023: working full-time & remotely in a foreign country while studying full-time in Canada and working part-time in Canada
My application says that the decision communicated constitutes the definitive and final decision on my present application and that my application will be retained for a period of two years under the file retention guidelines. If I still want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, I can register for Express Entry at a later date.

I have complete documentation of all my activities. Would you recommend appealing for reconsideration? And I also just wanted to get your opinion on what they mean about the file retention. From my understanding, it serves solely as a means of maintaining records. Is my interpretation accurate?

Thanks in advance for your insights!
What was the reason for your rejection?
You mentioned you worked for the foreign company hybrid. Which means you were outside Canada.

Why didn't IRCC just discarded your work experience on Study Permit and processed with the Experience in 2020-2022? 1 year is the minimum requirement for FSWP.