08/07/2014
Nomination.....
PER: 03.11.2014.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi everyone, I hope someone can give me some useful information.
My husband is an electrician and he would like to apply as an industrial electrician under FSTC program. But, the first elimination criteria is very confusing for me - he must have a job offer from Canadian employer or a certificate issued by the state of Canada. The confusing part is that, in order go get a job offer, one must have this certificate. But, to apply for this certificate, you must have a Canadian SSN. You can't have this number since you are not Canadian, and we are back to the beginning...
What's the catch and who can go thorough with this program?

Ralukino

Jan 22, 2013
Hi,
From our experience ( my husband is a constriction electrician Noc 7241), Ontario is asking for a SIN #. We applied for a certificate of qualification in Alberta. The fee is 450 cad.

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ralukino said:
Hi,
From our experience ( my husband is a constriction electrician Noc 7241), Ontario is asking for a SIN #. We applied for a certificate of qualification in Alberta. The fee is 450 cad.

Alberta is also asking for SIN number.
Are you applying from Canada or from abroad?
How can I have a SIN when I am not there?

franzden

Apr 23, 2012
Hi, just want to ask how did you get a certificate of qualification in Alberta? My husband is under NOC 7246 and is now in Ontario, but since he is just a visitor there he cannot provide a SIN which is a requirement in that province.

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Is there a province that does not require a SIN number to apply for an exam?
Is there a province where this certificate can be issued based only on credentials from the home country and while living in the home country?
@franzden - is this the first hand information, did your husband contact Ontario's officials or he had just searched the web like us?
What is the purpose of FSTC program if no one who is not a Canadian or does not have a job offer (which one can not obtain from abroad) can not apply?

franzden

Apr 23, 2012
@emiiuki-my husband asked the OntarioImmigration.ca who in turn contacted the Toronto Central Apprenticeship Office and this is what they told my husband..

I contacted MTCU, Apprenticeship Office to inquire whether a temporary resident (visitor), would be allowed to write the examination. The Apprenticeship office indicated that one of the requirements was to have a social insurance number. Only foreign workers, students, permanent residents and Canadian citizens can apply for a social insurance number. Therefore, visitors would not be eligible to write the examination.

If you would like to verify this information, you can contact MTCU Apprenticeship Office below:

Toronto Central Apprenticeship Office
625 Church St., 1st Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2B8
Telephone: 416-326-5800
Fax: 416-326-5799

I hope this will help.

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
franzden said:
@ emiiuki-my husband asked the OntarioImmigration.ca who in turn contacted the Toronto Central Apprenticeship Office and this is what they told my husband..

I contacted MTCU, Apprenticeship Office to inquire whether a temporary resident (visitor), would be allowed to write the examination. The Apprenticeship office indicated that one of the requirements was to have a social insurance number. Only foreign workers, students, permanent residents and Canadian citizens can apply for a social insurance number. Therefore, visitors would not be eligible to write the examination.

If you would like to verify this information, you can contact MTCU Apprenticeship Office below:

Toronto Central Apprenticeship Office
625 Church St., 1st Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2B8
Telephone: 416-326-5800
Fax: 416-326-5799

I hope this will help.
Thanks, Franzden, I think that there is no need to contact them because I'll probably get the same answer.
This is a very dissapointing news. I have no idea how to get that certificate. I'll try writing to offices in all the provinces, maybe it is not the same situation everywhere.
Did he, by a chance, ask them if there is the possibility to obtain that certificate only based on his diplomas, work experience and recommendations from his home country, without writing the exam.
In any other way this program is a joke!!!!

Ralukino

Jan 22, 2013
Go to Alberta apprenticeship and industry training. I can't post websites. You have all the information there, you just need to print the application guide and the application package. Then get all the documents that they ask for and mail them to AIT. The fee is 450.

franzden

Apr 23, 2012
But the application form in Alberta is only for canadian citizen, permanent resident and temporary foreign worker.

Ralukino

Jan 22, 2013
Is not. This information is in the application guide:This Guide is for foreign nationals who are applying to become a temporary foreign worker in Canada or for temporary foreign workers in Canada who are applying for Alberta certification in an Alberta designated trade.As a temporary foreign worker, you may apply from your home country.
Based on this we called them, and then we mailed the application.
I think we have 3 -4 months after we get there to schedule the exam.

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ralukino said:
Is not. This information is in the application guide:This Guide is for foreign nationals who are applying to become a temporary foreign worker in Canada or for temporary foreign workers in Canada who are applying for Alberta certification in an Alberta designated trade.As a temporary foreign worker, you may apply from your home country.
Based on this we called them, and then we mailed the application.
I think we have 3 -4 months after we get there to schedule the exam.
But, that means that you have a job offer and are comig to Canada on that basis. If we had a job offer, we wouldn't need the certificate because you must have one of those for FSTC.
Correct me if I am wrong.

franzden

Apr 23, 2012
yup i think emiiuki is correct, only those with job offer can apply..i printed the application form already and there's no box there that applies for visitor who is in canada..there were only 3 boxes to check, permanent resident, canadian citizen, temporary foreign worker..so if you don't fall in any of these 3 categories, how can you apply?

Ralukino

Jan 22, 2013
You can contact immigration Alberta and ask if you are eligible to apply with the letter that AIT will provide. Or contact any immigration consultant. They need to know more than us. It is really confusing. We are willing to apply just with that letter, if is working is perfect if not, we will get our file back, and by then we will know more about FSW program.

emiiuki

Dec 14, 2012
Novi Sad
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/07/2014
Nomination.....
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I wrote an e-mail today explaining the situation and sent it to trade offices in Alberta, BC, Ontario and Saske...... (I'm only not sure if the mail address for Alberta was correct because I took it from some forum; they only have phone and fax number on their web site).
The office from BC is the only one that replied immediately and this is what they said:
"Hello,
If you are planning to immigrate to British Columbia, Canada under the Federal Skilled Trades Program and wish to challenge the trade certification; please find all the information and requirements here http://itabc.ca/challengers/overview
You will require a BC mailing address to apply for the challenge process. You can do this by:
1. acquiring a PO Box

2. using a family member's address who resides in BC

3. through an immigration service.

You will also need a Canadian or US passport to write the Certificate of Qualification exam. We are currently reviewing our id requirements in order to write an exam and anticipate that this requirement will be changed in approximately 3 months. At that time you will be able to write the exam without a Canadian or US Passport. However, we urge that you do not make any travel arrangements to come to British Columbia, Canada until we have revised our identification requirements."

So, it is obviously that they are reviewing their regulations for test taking and I assume that it is because of this program. Three months is not so long period and, in our case, is makes no difference. We planned that husband should go to Canada on a tourist visa during the summer to take the test, so we still have plenty of time. I can't wait for answers from the other provinces, hoping that one of them can issue this certificate based on the current situation. Too good to be true, but why not hope..........
I hope I made your day at least a bit nicer!
If you have any news, please let us other know.....