Batman_is_Real

Dec 15, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
candavisa said:
I think when a person has LMIA the scenario changes about CEC and CWE.
That something I don't know since I am no expert to be honest. I just knew his timeline and I knew that he claimed or showed work experience in his EE profile even before he had PGWP.

I have no idea how CIC interprets that information with or without LMIA.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So here is the deal. This is still a grey area.

IRCC has left it open to interpretation. Basically, you are in "limbo" or implied status while you transition from study permit to PGWP. In that state, rules from your past continue to apply. Technically, that makes any CWE acquired while awaiting PGWP invalid for use in a PR application.

But then the laws appear to legitimize that work experience. The below may be interpreted as supporting the stance that this CWE might be included in one's PR application provided one can prove that one has completed course requirements but even this appears to be talking about implied status.

186. A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit.....

....(v) if they are the holder of a study permit and

(i) they are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution as defined in section 211.1,

(ii) the program in which they are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec, in each case, of a duration of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, and

(iii) although they are permitted to engage in full-time work during a regularly scheduled break between academic sessions, they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session; or

if they are or were the holder of a study permit who has completed their program of study and

(i) they met the requirements set out in paragraph (v), and

(ii) they applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application.
It would be most prudent to start counting from the date of PGWP approval. One may be tempted to count the experience acquired under implied status especially when one is running out of time and that should be a calculated gamble.

Batman_is_Real

Dec 15, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
It would be most prudent to start counting from the date of PGWP approval. One may be tempted to count the experience acquired under implied status especially when one is running out of time and that should be a calculated gamble.
+1, not to risk unless you are in desperate situation.

candavisa

Oct 24, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so experts, if I count my experience from day of PGWP, what will be dates entered in EE? because if I enter from the day I started working the EE will calculate from Sept 2015 to Sept 2016, and actual work permit received on Jan 2016.
If its Jan 2016 to Jan 2017 then I dont have time to wait for ITA as permit is expiring.
Suggestions? Options?

Batman_is_Real

Dec 15, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow Seems like this one is never ending debate.

Btw I want to point one thing here which may be irrelevant to EE but still,

In old system paper application system(before EE) you were considered eligible to apply under CEC as soon as you complete 1 year continues work. And I have seen many cases and most my friends getting PR under CEC where they have calculated Work Experience from the date they were hired as supposed to considering from the date they got PGWP.

EE might have changed that to impose some new rules but if we just look at CEC I think it doesn't say anything about PGWP. It just says your work experience must be accumulated under valid WP.

mjadawala

Jul 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
13-03-2017 - Travel History IMM5562E
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-12-2016; Med's passed - 23-03-2017
I had the same query as I face the same issue and hence I decided to call CIC last year.
The CIC agent told me that your work experience which you gained before receiving the PGWP but after graduating from college should be accountable and valid.

I didn't know if I can trust him or not at that time but it seems to be the case.

Here is my case:

Date of first day at work: July 21, 2014

Date of graduation (as listed in Grad certificate): August 2014

PGWP issue date: November 11, 2014

In addition to my study permit valid until November 30, 2014, I had a Co-Op work permit from January 2014 valid until November 30, 2014.

So as you see here, there is more than a 3 months gap between my date of graduation and date of PGWP issuance. (August - November).

Here is the most weird part:

As my first day of joining at work is July 21, 2014 and my pay-stubs were generated since then, I had disclosed that in my Express Entry profile.
Now, technically, I should complete 2 years of Canadian Work Experience on July 21, 2016, right - but what happened is that on June 01, 2016, CIC automatically updated my Express Entry profile and granted me extra 13 points for Work Experience which I deduced to be from increase in 1 year of work exp. (from 1 year to 2 years work exp.)

Also, I received my OINP Nomination on December 09, 2016 without any queries specific to my work experience in 2014 and 2015.

From this experience, I think its safe to assume that we can count our work experience after our graduation. Ensure to check the month of graduation mentioned on your graduation certificate.

Good Luck to all of us!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mjadawala said:
I had the same query as I face the same issue and hence I decided to call CIC last year.
The CIC agent told me that your work experience which you gained before receiving the PGWP but after graduating from college should be accountable and valid.

I didn't know if I can trust him or not at that time but it seems to be the case.

Here is my case:

Date of first day at work: July 21, 2014

Date of graduation (as listed in Grad certificate): August 2014

PGWP issue date: November 11, 2014

In addition to my study permit valid until November 30, 2014, I had a Co-Op work permit from January 2014 valid until November 30, 2014.

So as you see here, there is more than a 3 months gap between my date of graduation and date of PGWP issuance. (August - November).

Here is the most weird part:

As my first day of joining at work is July 21, 2014 and my pay-stubs were generated since then, I had disclosed that in my Express Entry profile.
Now, technically, I should complete 2 years of Canadian Work Experience on July 21, 2016, right - but what happened is that on June 01, 2016, CIC automatically updated my Express Entry profile and granted me extra 13 points for Work Experience which I deduced to be from increase in 1 year of work exp. (from 1 year to 2 years work exp.)

Also, I received my OINP Nomination on December 09, 2016 without any queries specific to my work experience in 2014 and 2015.

From this experience, I think its safe to assume that we can count our work experience after our graduation. Ensure to check the month of graduation mentioned on your graduation certificate.

Good Luck to all of us!
There is nothing weird about what happened to you. It is well known that the system allots points before a person actually completes X years of work experience.

mjadawala

Jul 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
13-03-2017 - Travel History IMM5562E
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
05-01-2017
Med's Done....
17-12-2016; Med's passed - 23-03-2017
DelPiero07 said:
There is nothing weird about what happened to you. It is well known that the system allots points before a person actually completes X years of work experience.
Thanks, good to know.

I thought it to be weird coz its 51 days prior to the due date.

Idda11

Jun 13, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
I would imagine that it would be from the date your PGWP is approved. Batman though is challenging that assertion and I need to find some resources to back my assertion.

I've read that it's called implied status and you are allowed to work:

Note: Paragraph 186(w) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) allows students who have completed their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application, as long as they were a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program and they did not exceed the allowable hours of work.

I assume that if IRPR allows working then the hours can be counted for EE.

I have another question. Here's my situation:
I have completed my studies in April 2016.
Started to work on May 1 ON CAMPUS, full time (CIC doesn't put a limit on how many hours you can work on campus while on Study Permit).
Finished my unpaid internship (the other place) on June 30.
Graduation letter issued by College on July 10.
Applied for PGWP on July 20.
Received PGWP on November 16, 2016.
Continue to work at the same place on campus currently.

From which date should I count my hours towards EE:
May 1 or July 20?

yawer_Naved

Sep 6, 2016
Asivad Anac said:
Not on study permit.
Hi Asivad
I have the same issue. Basically, i was studying in the UK and came back to my home country before my convocation and started working immediately.
In my EE profile i have showed that i am in full time employment since september 2015 and my convocation was held in november 2015. do you think the CIC would count my experience from september or are they gonna see my degree's conferred date and count it further on from there?

what should i do should i decline my offer or mention this in LOE?

Im applying under FSW program not CEC. need urgent help please....

thank and regards
yawer

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
yawer_Naved said:
Hi Asivad
I have the same issue. Basically, i was studying in the UK and came back to my home country before my convocation and started working immediately.
In my EE profile i have showed that i am in full time employment since september 2015 and my convocation was held in november 2015. do you think the CIC would count my experience from september or are they gonna see my degree's conferred date and count it further on from there?

what should i do should i decline my offer or mention this in LOE?

Im applying under FSW program not CEC. need urgent help please....

thank and regards
yawer
You can claim work experience while studying as long as you were not studying in Canada.

charanbir

Star Member
Aug 3, 2013
India
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
31-07-2013
Med's Request
pre medicals
Med's Done....
17-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
I think a person can start counting his experience the day he starts working after applying for PGWP.

For instance if a person completes his graduation in Dec and applies for PGWP on the 1st of Feb and starts working from 2nd Feb full time, that is when his experience starts to count.

You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:

had a valid study permit,
had completed your program of study,
were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.
thoughts?