+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Spain to Canada: Document Translation?

Nadia33

May 7, 2013
Hello!

Im Canadian and my boyfriend is Spanish, and Im sponsoring him for his PR from here in Spain.

All that we have left to do is translate all the documents we've accumulated and Im getting more and more confused the more I read on the internet about how this all works. So Im hoping somebody can shed some light on this!

I know that for official documents (police check, birth certificate, etc), a certified translator needs to do the translating and you need an affidavit and so on.

But, for extra documents, like those which support the genuineness of our relationship (personal e-mails, phone bills, etc.) who can translate those?

This is basically to avoid spending a ridiculous amount of money, as we have quite a few pages of extra documentation, its looking like it would come up to a thousand euros or so....which I'd like to avoid spending.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks so much!

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
I had all the letter translations on the same pages that they were written so they were signed by the people that wrote them. I think they are a little more particular about it for common-law applications though. It is not a requirement for married couples, it just helps to have.

Don't forget to get official documents authenticated/legalized BEFORE translating them.

I am not dealing with the same VO as you, but did deal with translations.

I am sure others will reply as well as correct me if I am mistaken.

There is a Port of Spain thread, I am sure you will get loads of help there.

Take care
MadeInCanada

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
If your boyfriend is Spanish, then his application will go through Paris, and the thread is not very active... so not sure that you can find much support there.

From what I understand for the translation, here is how it works:

for anything that has a legal value ( and it's usually indicated on the check list), you have to get a certified translation: marriage certificate, police certificate for example. In your case, as you're applying as common law (I suppose), then for example the lease, joint bank account, would be considered "legal documents" because they would serve to establish your status as common-law. So these need a certified translation.

When it comes to proving that you are in a genuine relationship (emails, letters, etc), then that can be done "non officially". You can translate it, or get somebody else ( a friend, family) that is bilingual and have them translate it - and sign a letter saying that they have translated everything to the best of their ability etc.

Hope it clarifies! good luck,
Sweden

Nadia33

May 7, 2013
Hi, yes we are dealing with the Paris office. Thats great about the non-official translating, I was thinking of doing the translation myself for the letters (cheaper and also would prefer it as theyre pretty personal! haha)

So, will I need to sign an official document stating that my translations are true? As in go to a notary?

Thanks so much for your reply!

Nadia