+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

French Exam or 1 year postal course in India?

jayant019

Apr 12, 2020
Hello All

Thank you for reading my post. I have searched quite a lot about this topic but didnt find anything much. Here's the current situation:

1. I gave IELTS recently in Feb 20 and got - L-8.5, R-7, W-7.5, S-7.5
2. I am getting 438 with this and everything else in my profile when I checked here - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
3. I have 6 years of experience in IT as an SDET in various companies in India
4. Corona happened to the world

I wish to immigrate to Canada, and I feel with 438, its a long shot. So, keeping a 2 year window in mind I have got three options:

1. Go for a postal 1 year post grad course from any university (recognized by IRCC and AICTE) which will add around 30-35 points to my CRS (if its considered valid)
2. Learn French (assuming a 1 year window) and hope to God to score a comfortable CLB in TEF or TCF for a better CRS score
3. Do nothing and just go with current credentials and apply now for PR along with OINP and/or other PNPs and hope that i get nomination.

Please input any thoughts/ feedback and suggest which of the above three options I should pursue. Thanks again!

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Why not do both?

I know it depends on your commitments, but in a 2 year window, you can do the 1 year post-graduate diploma in year 1 and work on improving your french. Then you can take a french course, and take the TEF in year 2.

jayant019

Apr 12, 2020
I do not have any issues with both as such. What scares me though is the uncertainty of everything.
My company has tie up with IMT Ghaziabad for a CDL MBA course which has a duration of 11 months. This is the most viable course for me.
Though I am not sure whether this is valid in the eyes of WES for ECA purposes.

And language - well that's subjective. Don't really how long will it take for me to learn French.

And seeing the timelines in the process and the delays being caused by the Covid situation, I really just want to be in the pool of candidates with a winning chance.

ananth1993

Feb 8, 2020
hi, i am also having score of 438 so I'm in almost same situation as you.
1. Since you are in IT, you have a better chance of getting a PNP than me. But it is very competitive so dont rely on it.
I have been trying since June 2019 and I didnt get. (I'm a mechanical engineer)
2. If you are starting french from zero, then you will never get good enough in 1 year to add more than 5-10 points. So dont do that.

So considering these, the best option is to go for postgrad course. Contact WES and confirm that your course will be recognized.

I considered the same options as you in 2019 and decided to join for Msc. Will be completed in 2021 which should add 40 points.

jayant019

Apr 12, 2020
hi, i am also having score of 438 so I'm in almost same situation as you.
1. Since you are in IT, you have a better chance of getting a PNP than me. But it is very competitive so dont rely on it.
I have been trying since June 2019 and I didnt get. (I'm a mechanical engineer)
2. If you are starting french from zero, then you will never get good enough in 1 year to add more than 5-10 points. So dont do that.

So considering these, the best option is to go for postgrad course. Contact WES and confirm that your course will be recognized.

I considered the same options as you in 2019 and decided to join for Msc. Will be completed in 2021 which should add 40 points.
Thanks Ananth
I believe you went for a 2 year course of MSc. In my case, the best option I have is to pursue a distance executive MBA from IMT which is a 15 month course.
Any chance you could tell me whether it's recognised by WES.

ananth1993

Feb 8, 2020
Thanks Ananth
I believe you went for a 2 year course of MSc. In my case, the best option I have is to pursue a distance executive MBA from IMT which is a 15 month course.
Any chance you could tell me whether it's recognised by WES.
Sad fact is that most of the MBA courses from India which are less than 3 years are not recognized by WES. You can try to do a PG diploma or a masters in your field.
Yes, im doing 2 year Msc and I contacted WES to ensure my degree will be recognized before I started studies. So really the best way to find out if your course will be recognized is to ask WES directly.
You can also look at this degree equivalency tool
https://applications.wes.org/ca/degree-equivalency-tool/

jayant019

Apr 12, 2020
Sad fact is that most of the MBA courses from India which are less than 3 years are not recognized by WES. You can try to do a PG diploma or a masters in your field.
Yes, im doing 2 year Msc and I contacted WES to ensure my degree will be recognized before I started studies. So really the best way to find out if your course will be recognized is to ask WES directly.
You can also look at this degree equivalency tool
https://applications.wes.org/ca/degree-equivalency-tool/
Yeah after replying to you, I called up IMT to ask for WES accreditation. They themselves are saying that the diploma is not recognised. So yeah. You were right. I will have to look for some other course now.

JulieBurgess

Jun 18, 2020
Hello All

Thank you for reading my post. I have searched quite a lot about this topic but didnt find anything much. Here's the current situation:

1. I gave IELTS recently in Feb 20 and got - L-8.5, R-7, W-7.5, S-7.5
2. I am getting 438 with this and everything else in my profile when I checked here - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
3. I have 6 years of experience in IT as an SDET in various companies in India
4. Corona happened to the world

I wish to immigrate to Canada, and I feel with 438, its a long shot. So, keeping a 2 year window in mind I have got three options:

1. Go for a postal 1 year post grad course from any university (recognized by IRCC and AICTE) which will add around 30-35 points to my CRS (if its considered valid)
2. Learn French (assuming a 1 year window) and hope to God to score a comfortable CLB mybizaccount in TEF or TCF for a better CRS score
3. Do nothing and just go with current credentials and apply now for PR along with OINP and/or other PNPs and hope that i get nomination.

Please input any thoughts/ feedback and suggest which of the above three options I should pursue. Thanks again!

Not familiar with the topic. but i like your score

Last edited: