+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Freelance + LMO + permanent residence...

Sycrid

Oct 9, 2010
I know, I know, I have a lot to cover but I'm struggling to discover the information anywhere, and the Canada Immigration website is not helping at all. Even after hours of searching, so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

First thing? I have had to leave a skilled job because the company I work for would not sponsor me in that position, I was good at the job, they just could not afford the sponsorship wage that the law dictates I must be earning to be sponsored. They have in return sponsored me in a none-skilled job, which allows for me and my girlfriend to stay here (if we can't stay in Canada, then staying together becomes exceptionally complex, and requires so extremely difficult visas and learning new languages).

So now that I have a sponsorship in an unskilled job, I have been looking around for some freelance work, that is none contractual, I need to know if this is allowed? No contract, potentially voluntary work, which I may if I'm lucky acquire some additional finance from. Am I allowed to do this.. I know I'd have to pay the taxes on it and such...

Secondly, I need to know how the heck I can become a resident. Clear and simple, not lots of vague answers. It's doing my head in to be told by one lawyer, yes under skilled work due to my qualifications (two degrees at university level UK), and another, that I need to wait 3 years, and by my employer that I need to wait 2 years.. and I'm not getting consistent answers. Situation, I have been in Canada 1 year, working a skilled job, which I had to sacrafice to stay here, for a none-skilled job, now I have enough money to cover me, I have been employed every day I have lived in Canada, and I have a good level of education. What do I need to do, to get residence now, so I can start creating a future, with my girlfriend. Heck I even come from the UK, a fellow commonwealth country, which shares the same queen...

Any help is useful, and appreciated. Any questions that you may have, feel free to ask. (Also I'm 23 years old).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sycrid said:
I know, I know, I have a lot to cover but I'm struggling to discover the information anywhere, and the Canada Immigration website is not helping at all. Even after hours of searching, so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

First thing? I have had to leave a skilled job because the company I work for would not sponsor me in that position, I was good at the job, they just could not afford the sponsorship wage that the law dictates I must be earning to be sponsored. They have in return sponsored me in a none-skilled job, which allows for me and my girlfriend to stay here (if we can't stay in Canada, then staying together becomes exceptionally complex, and requires so extremely difficult visas and learning new languages).

So now that I have a sponsorship in an unskilled job, I have been looking around for some freelance work, that is none contractual, I need to know if this is allowed? No contract, potentially voluntary work, which I may if I'm lucky acquire some additional finance from. Am I allowed to do this.. I know I'd have to pay the taxes on it and such...

Secondly, I need to know how the heck I can become a resident. Clear and simple, not lots of vague answers. It's doing my head in to be told by one lawyer, yes under skilled work due to my qualifications (two degrees at university level UK), and another, that I need to wait 3 years, and by my employer that I need to wait 2 years.. and I'm not getting consistent answers. Situation, I have been in Canada 1 year, working a skilled job, which I had to sacrafice to stay here, for a none-skilled job, now I have enough money to cover me, I have been employed every day I have lived in Canada, and I have a good level of education. What do I need to do, to get residence now, so I can start creating a future, with my girlfriend. Heck I even come from the UK, a fellow commonwealth country, which shares the same queen...

Any help is useful, and appreciated. Any questions that you may have, feel free to ask. (Also I'm 23 years old).
1. You will have a closed work permit, you can only work in the that position for the company named in the work permit. You can't work "freelance" at any other job.
2. To apply under CEC you either have to have graduated from a Canadian school and worked as a skilled worker for 1 year, or have 2 years of skilled in work in Canada, it appears you don't meet that criteria.
3. With an unskilled position, you will have to search the PNP program for the province where you are working. There is a good chance that you will NOT get PR through unskilled work.

Sycrid

Oct 9, 2010
Well this country seems a little useless, denying a person with good finance, a high level of education and a desire to stay... I do find it retarded though how I have friends here who come from the likes of india and such with no education and have been here for less than 5 years, who are recieving such status'...

No comments as of now.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stay tuned as more retardness on the way as conservatives got elected for the second time

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
newtone said:
Stay tuned as more retardness on the way as conservatives got elected for the second time
+1 :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sycrid said:
Well this country seems a little useless, denying a person with good finance, a high level of education and a desire to stay... I do find it retarded though how I have friends here who come from the likes of india and such with no education and have been here for less than 5 years, who are recieving such status'...

No comments as of now.
So ask your friends "from the likes of India and such" what they have done to qualify themselves for their immigration. Then you can do the same.

It is hard to qualify for immigration unless you have a skilled work permit. Maybe you should consider looking for another employer who can afford you for a skilled position.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Leon said:
So ask your friends "from the likes of India and such" what they have done to qualify themselves for their immigration. Then you can do the same.

It is hard to qualify for immigration unless you have a skilled work permit. Maybe you should consider looking for another employer who can afford you for a skilled position.
Or completing additional education in Canada (like a graduate degree) and then working for a year to qualify under CEC.

Sycrid

Oct 9, 2010
To Leon, that's a good idea, but they usually go, oh it was just my lawyer, great guy... then I contact the Lawyers they use.. and never get anything back from them.. coincidence is they're indian lawyers based in Canada. It puzzles me.

As for your comment scylla, that's a good idea, but it does seem like an unfortunate waste of finance to re-verify my education within a new country that does recognise my current education.Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think the easiest solution is to just forget it, or work 3 years in a redundent job, until my employer can process an application for me, and then another 2 years whilst it gets processed. Likely I'll marry my amazing little lady, and just take her to England.. shame for Canada though, as this process really does deny those with good work ethics and skills from really being a part of this quite amazing country.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Why don't you marry your girlfriend and then she can sponsor you.

If you are that sure about your relationship, that you want to move to Canada, then what is stopping you?

Also, as others have stated, if your employers are too cheap to pay you the going rate for your job, then find an employer that will pay you.

Becoming a PR of Canada is a privilege not a right, you choose to live here, Canada is not forcing you to be here. Why doesn't your girlfriend move to the UK instead?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
angelbrat said:
Why don't you marry your girlfriend and then she can sponsor you.
I don't think his girlfriend is Canadian...

Sycrid

Oct 9, 2010
Scylla and Angelbrat, sorry for not getting back to you. Yeah my little misses is not Canadian, she's Ukrainian. Getting her into the UK is a complete impossability without marriage or being engaged, and we really want to stay in Canada. Why leave this amazing country for our previous homes which we left because we didn't enjoy them?

I know that living in Canada is a privilege and not a right, but damn the government does make it hard for us. As for finding new jobs, well don't we have to work with the same employer for 3 years before we can apply for provincial residence with our employer?

Also it's kind of hard to find another employer, we're currently living in a small town, and if we did go to the city (by the way I really do want to live in Vancouver), then what makes an employer want us, over other people, even if our skills may be higher or more developed? They would have more paperwork to deal with, they'd have to run the risk of being prepared to pay for our flight home if we where to be fired by them, and they'd have to stick with the one year contract that they sign up to, if they did not wish to pay for this flight... If all goes well with them, then they also have to pay us a higher wage/salary more often than they'd have to pay Canadians, because the government sets standard rates for the employer to pay the employee, to encourage the employer to select Canadians rather than foreign internationals.

The system is completely against outsiders, which I understand is great for Canadians in the short term, because you get to maximise your employment rate, but in the long term, by denying such potential candidates who are well educated, have finance, and a very good work ethic which is proven, then you essentially refuse your own country from increasing your GDP to a higher level, and holding back your country, right?

Definition of GDP, just for clarification.
"Gross domestic product (GDP) refers to the market value of all final goods and services produced within a country in a given period. It is often considered an indicator of a country's standard of living"

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sycrid said:
As for finding new jobs, well don't we have to work with the same employer for 3 years before we can apply for provincial residence with our employer?

They would have more paperwork to deal with, they'd have to run the risk of being prepared to pay for our flight home if we where to be fired by them, and they'd have to stick with the one year contract that they sign up to, if they did not wish to pay for this flight...
I don't know where you get 3 years. That is baloney. If you are working a skilled job, your employer can sponsor you right away. They can even sponsor you without you being in Canada on a work permit at all. If you are working a low skilled job, you have very few immigration options. There are a couple under AB and BC PNP's and then you must have worked for the employer for 6-9 months in order to be sponsored.

The employer does not have to pay for your flight home if you are skilled, only if you are low skilled.

Sycrid

Oct 9, 2010
"I don't know where you get 3 years. That is baloney. If you are working a skilled job, your employer can sponsor you right away. They can even sponsor you without you being in Canada on a work permit at all. If you are working a low skilled job, you have very few immigration options. There are a couple under AB and BC PNP's and then you must have worked for the employer for 6-9 months in order to be sponsored.

The employer does not have to pay for your flight home if you are skilled, only if you are lowskilled.
"

My employer stated to me, that the permanent residence (provincial) application, means I have to work for them for 3 years before they can help me apply... I thought this was weird as well, but thats what the said to me. I suppose it may differe between skilled and noneskilled work, right? The noneskilled work is what I'm having to do now to stay, on my LMO. Cheap ass company to be honest with you, and I'd happily find another employer if was easy enough to do so.

When you say 6-8.9 months, to be sponsored, do you mean sponsored LMO, or sponsored residencey application?

Thanks Leon. You're helping me a lot and I appreciate it, because I'm getting fustrated by all of this, but I'm a persistant bugger because I love this country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your employer either has the wrong information or they don't want to sponsor you. An employer may use sponsorship as a carrot to keep you on your toes too. They may set their own criteria for when or if they sponsor you for PR. They are under no obligation to do it.

However, from what you said, you are not working a skilled job so they would not be allowed to sponsor you for PR under PNP unless it is one of the handful of jobs exempted under the PNP where you live. Since you said Vancouver, I assume you are in BC. Their low skilled PNP is here: http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/come/work/about/strategic_occupations/entry_level/who.page? They do seem to be closing it in August though.

You should really look for a skilled job with an employer who appreciates you. A skilled job opens a lot more doors for you.

When you were working for this employer in a skilled position, how long did you work for him? If it was for 2 years or more, you would be able to apply for your own immigration under CEC.