+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to enter date stayed outside Canada

milton123

Jun 21, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have already sent my application for citizenship few weeks back. However, I just realized today that I forgot to enter a date when I went outside Canada (about two weeks). This date was before I became a PR but falls under last four years? Any idea on what could happen or what should I do?

Thanks,
M

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
milton123 I wish you all the best for your future endeavour to obtain citizenship. My reply may be little harsh but this is reality. CIC does not give us second chance for citizenship. Absence calculator is the main and most important document in citizenship application. if one has error there your application will run in loop for years of delay and CJ interview. I would suggest immediately withdraw the application and re apply. But tension is not ended here. Unfortunately CIC works under RQ Triage criteria. so Once you withdraw your application you have to submit RQ in your second submission. Again CIC does not give second chance. they will nail down people who intentional or unintentionally enter false info in the citizenship form. In this case it is pure human error to forget we understand but there is no way to prove that how a person can forget or it can be intentional error. Citizenship has become a painful journey. I wish one day CIC changes it mode of operation and speed up things for all of us. We all are here with the hope of that light and have smiles on our face.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
milton123 said:
I have already sent my application for citizenship few weeks back. However, I just realized today that I forgot to enter a date when I went outside Canada (about two weeks). This date was before I became a PR but falls under last four years? Any idea on what could happen or what should I do?
Hi Milton,
Please clarify: Does this affect your # of days in Canada? Does it put your days below 1095 on the day you signed your application?

The CIC will tolerate 3 or less discrepancies totaling 5 days or less (though I'm less confident that they will tolerate it if it puts your days below 1095). (page 29 in this PDF residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/cic_rq_triage_interpretations_2012.pdf)

The CIC will not overlook a discrepancy of 14 days, so you need to deal with it as honestly and earnestly as possible. How to deal with it depends on what your revised date total is. If it is under 1095 on the day you signed, then it would probably be advisable to withdraw and resubmit. If you still have 1095+ days, you might (?) be able to amend your residency declaration/calculation, but you would be well advised to speak to a settlement worker or lawyer for advice on that.

While withdrawal was once a known RQ trigger, there are indications that this is no longer the case.

As Blueshirt indicates, errors like this can undermine your credibility (I understand that these happen as I personally made 4 minor errors in my res declaration which ironically underestimated my time in Canada). The key is to be absolutely vigilant about from here on out about anything else that might undermine credibility.

milton123

Jun 21, 2014
Hi eileenf,

Actually it does not affect my number of days in Canada (i.e. below 1095).

When I checked the status online, it says that they started processing my application on August, 2014.

Thanks.

eileenf said:
Hi Milton,
Please clarify: Does this affect your # of days in Canada? Does it put your days below 1095 on the day you signed your application?

The CIC will tolerate 3 or less discrepancies totaling 5 days or less (though I'm less confident that they will tolerate it if it puts your days below 1095).

The CIC will not overlook a discrepancy of 14 days, so you need to deal with it as honestly and earnestly as possible. How to deal with it depends on what your revised date total is. If it is under 1095 on the day you signed, then it would probably be advisable to withdraw and resubmit. If you still have 1095+ days, you might (?) be able to amend your residency declaration/calculation, but you would be well advised to speak to a settlement worker or lawyer for advice on that.

While withdrawal was once a known RQ trigger, there are indications that this is no longer the case.

As Blueshirt indicates, errors like this can undermine your credibility (I understand that these happen as I personally made 4 minor errors in my res declaration which ironically underestimated my time in Canada). The key is to be absolutely vigilant about from here on out about anything else that might undermine credibility.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
milton123 said:
Hi eileenf,

Actually it does affect my number of days in Canada (i.e. below 1095).

When I checked the status online, it says that they started processing my application on August, 2014.

Thanks.
Under 1095 days leaves you at the mercy of CIC, The CJ and the Federal Court with no guarantee of success. In your shoes I'd withdraw and re-apply with 1095 days but its your call.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Withdraw your application and reapply once you qualify.

milton123

Jun 21, 2014
Sorry guys typo at midnight. It does NOT affect my required days. I was due to apply last December and last time I checked I had roughly about 1220 days. So, do you guys think it would be better if I withdraw and re-apply?

Thanks,
M

wsm_al

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
milton123 said:
Sorry guys typo at midnight. It does NOT affect my required days. I was due to apply last December and last time I checked I had roughly about 1220 days. So, do you guys think it would be better if I withdraw and re-apply?

Thanks,
M
Hi,
If it is not making your #of days below 1095, then I believe you could update them with the correct RC. send them a letter explaining that!! However, I would always recommend you give CIC a call and let them know if it is ok you update your RC and see if they have other suggestions.
Good luck!!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
eileenf said:
The CIC will tolerate 3 or less discrepancies totaling 5 days or less
That's an interesting fact. It applied to me. I had 2 discrepancies - one where I had two extra days outside Canada and one where I had one less day outside Canada (for a total net change of 1 day extra outside of Canada). I did apply with a buffer of 9 days so that explained why the interviewer did not give me a hard time at all.

Rayan14

Aug 14, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
milton123 said:
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
M
You'll probably be able to clarify that during your interview. However if you have more than 950-960 days of residency you shouldn't worry. This is my understanding of course after I spoke to a CIC officer off the record.
Good luck!

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wsm_al said:
Hi,
If it is not making your #of days below 1095, then I believe you could update them with the correct RC. send them a letter explaining that!! However, I would always recommend you give CIC a call and let them know if it is ok you update your RC and see if they have other suggestions.
Good luck!!
This is the best option. Why withdraw ?? you can just send a letter and explain what happened. Everybody can make mistakes.