+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forensic work in canada

forensickid

Dec 28, 2009
Hi,
I am looking to relocate my family to canada from UK. I have visited canada a couple of times and love the country very much.
I have completed a point scoring assessment and have enough points to qualify but can only proceed with an offer of work. I am currently employed by one of the biggest police forces in Britain as a "Forensic evidence recovery technician" but also have qualifications in fingerprint recognician and photography. I have a photographic background and was pro for over twenty years.
Does anyone have any advice as I am a little unsure how I would get job offer over a canadian worker?

I also have electrical instalation qualifications but don't realy want to work as sparky in canada.

Any advice on any aspect of the canadian work situation would be very greatfully recieved.

Thanks
Tony

payje_p

Mar 7, 2010
Hi Tony,

This is the exact job my father has in Canada. He got into it in a bit of a round-about way. He started working as a dispatcher (answering 911 calls), then onto computer work within the police station, and then trained as a Forensic Identification Officer only when a position became available internally.
Unfortunately, the only way into this job is to be employed by a police force first (I think). And having very little working knowledge of Canadian Law, probably doesn't work in your favour much. That said - Canadian law is based very much on British law.
It is an incredibly hard profession to get into as a Canadian citizen, as there are very few job openings/opportunities, and they usually require a lot of work as a patrol police officer first. We also have very different qualifications for police officers (2 years college degree minimum, plus usually a bachelors degree in criminology/forensics as well).
It's been 2 months since you posted, but I hope things have worked out more favourably for you than I've painted the picture.
Best of luck.

-paige

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You could apply for PR as an electrician (it's on the current list of 38, FSW1, no job offer required), just because you apply as an electrician doesn't mean you have to work in that field when you get here.

The Ontario Provincial Police has a civilian forensic support service (I imagine that other provinces do as well), of course it might be incredibly competitive, but you never know...

http://www.opp.ca/ecms/index.php?id=287