+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreigner marrying a Canadian in Canadian soil?

nvnv

Jun 23, 2015
Hi,
I am a Canadian and my soon to be is from Brazil. She got her Tourist Visa, Airplane ticket and such already. Now, I am wondering what is the requirement or legalization process to get married in Canada? I live in British Columbia and all I was told is that all we needed was a marriage license. PS. we did omit on her Visa application about any plans of marriage. Are there anything else needed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ounjal said:
"I am a Canadian"

bull*censored word*. otherwise you would know how to get married in Canada.
Not true at all. Your assumptions are flat out wrong.

I was born in Canada. When it was time to marry my American husband in Canada I had to do research to find out if there was anything special we had to do because he wasn't from here in order to get married.

I also wasn't at all familiar with what you had to do to obtain a marriage license (where to go, how long it took, what I had to provide). This isn't something everyone knows. It's only something you find out when it's actually time to get married.

These aren't stupid questions at all. These are the kinds of questions a person normally asks when they are getting married for the first time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nvnv said:
Hi,
I am a Canadian and my soon to be is from Brazil. She got her Tourist Visa, Airplane ticket and such already. Now, I am wondering what is the requirement or legalization process to get married in Canada? I live in British Columbia and all I was told is that all we needed was a marriage license. PS. we did omit on her Visa application about any plans of marriage. Are there anything else needed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Each province has its own rules (although they are generally quite similar) - if you google "getting married in BC" it will tell you all you need to know. I was married in Ontario - so unfortunately I can't help. Move to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum if you have additional questions.