+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreigner Applying from China - Need advice on Proof of funds letter

Canada0510

Aug 20, 2019
Hi all,

Really hoping for some advice.

I was wondering what docs should be submitted as POF from Chinese bank.

1) I have one letter on the bank letterhead which is certificate of deposit says so and so has xxx,xxx amt in CNY(Chinese currency). This letter has both English and Chinese text explaining the same. However, this also says that the account balance is freeze for 0 days, which means all the amount can be withdrawn anytime.
- Will this be an issue in the minds of VO that the amount might not be there in the future when the application is in process.
- Should I freeze part of the money (Needed for single applicant eg. 14K CAD) in the account for say 6-7 months to assure the VO that the money isn't going anywhere?​

2) To cover and support the 1st point I am also adding another letter which shows my salary deposit every month in last 1 year. (Date and amount that was deposited)
- This would hopefully calm the officers that okay there was a steady income coming into this account every month as salary? - One issue with this letter is everything is in English except the text which says type of deposit (salary) that 'salary' text is in Chinese, do I need to get this one translated? Also this letter is not on the letter head but is stamped by the bank seal.​

3) I will also add monthly account transactions statement for last 6 months, these pages are also not on the letter head but has the banks stamp and on the top it states the name of the bank.

Will all these be sufficient as proof of funds. Do I need to translate the 2nd document mentioned above?
Anyone with experience around this, please do take some time to give your opinions. Thank you for the time.

Reactions: alanddantas

alanddantas

Feb 13, 2020
Hi, did you get your process done? I am not Chinese but most of my funds is in a Chinese bank. I was wondering what kind of special action I should take with the chinese bank statements.

Any thoughts on that? Thank you!

Reactions: Canada0510

Canada0510

Aug 20, 2019
Hi, did you get your process done? I am not Chinese but most of my funds is in a Chinese bank. I was wondering what kind of special action I should take with the chinese bank statements.

Any thoughts on that? Thank you!
Yea, waiting for passport to be stamped.

I did exactly what I wrote in my first post, details are below -

For Proof of Funds (POF) from Chinese Bank:

1) You need a letter from the Bank stating - Your name, account details, the date when account was opened and obviously the funds in your account. This letter needs to be English, if your bank provides it in Chinese only, you need to get this translated by a certified translator and also add the translator's certificate that he/she is certified translator. Mine had both Chinese and English on the same letter. Don't Freeze the amount, the IRCC requirement is that these funds should be readily available to you, meaning you can withdraw this at any point as per your will. So freezing it was exactly opposite idea.

2) Not needed but good to have - Source of how this funds showing in your account has been accumulated. This just assures the officials that a specific amount was being added in your account over a certain period of time which explains why you have so and so amount in your account. My bank gave me a letter of salary deposits for last 12 months but this was in Chinese so I got this translated as mentioned above.

3) Bank statements last months

So what did I add?: (4 documents)

- Letter from the bank showing balance in account. (English + Chinese in same letter)
- Letter from the bank of salary deposit over last 12 months (Chinese).
- Bank statements (6 months) - Only added the pages that showed opening and closing balances on the month, also mentioned in the LOE, hence some pages are missing.
- Got it translated and also added the translator's certificate which proves he is certified translator.

PRO tip: Whatever you are adding extra or not adding due to logical reasons, explain everything in the LOE so the officer knows why something is missing or being added as supporting documents. I wouldn't like to guess if I was in the officer's shoes. So I prepared the application as how I would like to see if I was the reviewing officer (just saying)

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited:

alanddantas

Feb 13, 2020
Thanks a lot! Good luck in Canada!

1) You need a letter from the Bank stating - Your name, account details, the date when account was opened and obviously the funds in your account. This letter needs to be English, if your bank provides it in Chinese only, you need to get this translated by a certified translator and also add the translator's certificate that he/she is certified translator. Mine had both Chinese and English on the same letter. Don't Freeze the amount, the IRCC requirement is that these funds should be readily available to you, meaning you can withdraw this at any point as per your will. So freezing it was exactly opposite idea.

2) Not needed but good to have - Source of how this funds showing in your account has been accumulated. This just assures the officials that a specific amount was being added in your account over a certain period of time which explains why you have so and so amount in your account. My bank gave me a letter of salary deposits for last 12 months but this was in Chinese so I got this translated as mentioned above.

- Letter from the bank showing balance in account. (English + Chinese in same letter)
- Bank statements (6 months) - Only added the pages that showed opening and closing balances on the month, also mentioned in the LOE, hence some pages are missing.
- Got it translated and also added the translator's certificate which proves he is certified translator.

PRO tip: Whatever you are adding extra or not adding due to logical reasons, explain everything in the LOE so the officer knows why something is missing or being added as supporting documents. I wouldn't like to guess if I was in the officer's shoes. So I prepared the application as how I would like to see if I was the reviewing officer (just saying)

m.raza0310

Dec 11, 2020

Here is the question. I have a account in BOC. As far as I understand,

I need a certificate of deposit (English and Chinese).
I have a saving account how to get a certificate of deposit?
and what more?

I will be very thankful if you can help me out.

chidon40

Jan 27, 2023

Which bank gave you these documents? Bank of China refused to give me these documents claiming that the certificate of deposit must be frozen for at least 1 day and they do not issue salary statement as well.

chidon40

Jan 27, 2023
Here is the question. I have a account in BOC. As far as I understand,

I need a certificate of deposit (English and Chinese).
I have a saving account how to get a certificate of deposit?
and what more?

I will be very thankful if you can help me out.
Did BOC give you the documents? They refused to issue the documents to me in Suzhou city.
what’s your experience?

jojozack

Feb 17, 2024
Did BOC give you the documents? They refused to issue the documents to me in Suzhou city.
what’s your experience?
I have the same experience here in Wuxi, they had to freeze my account for a month and I asked for bank statement for 3 months but all in Chinese. What can we do?