+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign Work Experience

javierlok

Jul 20, 2018
Hi All,

I have been looking around about my case for foreign work experience but unfortunately I couldn't find any result. I have 2 particular scenarios where I am not quite sure. It will be grateful if someone can help me, I will gladly appreciate your answer.

First scenario, my NOC for foreign work experience is NOC 0631 which manager for restaurant and bar manager - self-employed. My business was opened from early Jan 2009 and closed down late of Dec 2013. Also I came to Canada around mid December 2009 to do finish my high school in here. So I would like to know how many years of foreign work experience I can claim?

Second scenario, on this year 2018 I have contacted to my previous suppliers for a letter about my local business. Unfortunately, they said they cleared out our business record. Thus there is no proof of us making any transaction. I have other document to support my proof, such as financial statement from 2009 - 2013 issued by the Ministery of Finance and Commerce in Panama and a copy of patent of my business (Not the original copy, just black and white). At this point do I need to submit a letter of explanation to the Immigration office?

I will kindly thank you in advance for answering my 2 questions

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi All,

I have been looking around about my case for foreign work experience but unfortunately I couldn't find any result. I have 2 particular scenarios where I am not quite sure. It will be grateful if someone can help me, I will gladly appreciate your answer.

First scenario, my NOC for foreign work experience is NOC 0631 which manager for restaurant and bar manager - self-employed. My business was opened from early Jan 2009 and closed down late of Dec 2013. Also I came to Canada around mid December 2009 to do finish my high school in here. So I would like to know how many years of foreign work experience I can claim?

Second scenario, on this year 2018 I have contacted to my previous suppliers for a letter about my local business. Unfortunately, they said they cleared out our business record. Thus there is no proof of us making any transaction. I have other document to support my proof, such as financial statement from 2009 - 2013 issued by the Ministery of Finance and Commerce in Panama and a copy of patent of my business (Not the original copy, just black and white). At this point do I need to submit a letter of explanation to the Immigration office?

I will kindly thank you in advance for answering my 2 questions
You can claim max points for 3 years of Foreign Work Experience in the last 10 yrs
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

Have you received this communication(that they have wiped out the records) from your supplier in by email ? you can attach that.
Can you get a letter of reference from an supplier of yours who were dealing with you for this restaurant ?

javierlok

Jul 20, 2018
You can claim max points for 3 years of Foreign Work Experience in the last 10 yrs
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html

Have you received this communication(that they have wiped out the records) from your supplier in by email ? you can attach that.
Can you get a letter of reference from an supplier of yours who were dealing with you for this restaurant ?
My parents went to each of my suppliers, and they said they cleared out everything. Thus there is no record of any transaction and they will not send you any confirmation email listing that they wiped out the record. I tried contact all of them but they said there is much they can do, so I am bit frustrated here because I don't have other proof that my business was open from 2009 to 2013. I am not sure if LoE is enough to explain my situation.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
My parents went to each of my suppliers, and they said they cleared out everything. Thus there is no record of any transaction and they will not send you any confirmation email listing that they wiped out the record. I tried contact all of them but they said there is much they can do, so I am bit frustrated here because I don't have other proof that my business was open from 2009 to 2013. I am not sure if LoE is enough to explain my situation.
All i can say it will be a tough one to judge from our perspective. You try and do your best to get all the proof in along with the detailed and clear letter of explanation(LoE). It will really depend on the Case Officers judgement.

I hope it works out for you.

javierlok

Jul 20, 2018
All i can say it will be a tough one to judge from our perspective. You try and do your best to get all the proof in along with the detailed and clear letter of explanation(LoE). It will really depend on the Case Officers judgement.

I hope it works out for you.
So it will be nice if my parents asked my suppliers once again if they can make a letter of them "clearing out" their business with me. Will that be enough?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My question to you would be, how will you able to prove that you were working/managing such business while being a high-school student in Canada? That is, how were you involved in such business while living abroad?

javierlok

Jul 20, 2018
My question to you would be, how will you able to prove that you were working/managing such business while being a high-school student in Canada? That is, how were you involved in such business while living abroad?
Umm, my business was a family business. So I can tell the immigration officer while I was studying here for high school, my parents were taking over my business if they have any questions they can skype me over. I wrote that scenario to see different opinions and I am glad that you saw that. I am not quite sure if I should explain that to the immigration officer because they will mark my application as incomplete. If you were in my position will you recommend me to explain it or not list it in the CEC application? I can proof them with my financial statement issued by the Ministery of Financial and Commerce from 2009 - 2013 and my business's patent. Feel free to tell me your answer.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Umm, my business was a family business. So I can tell the immigration officer while I was studying here for high school, my parents were taking over my business if they have any questions they can skype me over. I wrote that scenario to see different opinions and I am glad that you saw that. I am not quite sure if I should explain that to the immigration officer because they will mark my application as incomplete. If you were in my position will you recommend me to explain it or not list it in the CEC application? I can proof them with my financial statement issued by the Ministery of Financial and Commerce from 2009 - 2013 and my business's patent. Feel free to tell me your answer.
1 - Saying they "were taking over my business" is basically declaring that you were not working during that period of time. If you were not working then you should not be claiming points for such work experience even if it is your business.
2 - They don't do skype calls so that's out of the question.
3 - I would recommend not including this period in the work history section and include only the self-employed period from Jan 2009-Dec 2009 in the personal history section (post-ITA). No proof of employment will be required for such period of self-employment.

If you try to claim 3 years of foreign work experience then I can guarantee things won't end up well (unless you are still above the cutoff score without such work experience).

javierlok

Jul 20, 2018
1 - Saying they "were taking over my business" is basically declaring that you were not working during that period of time. If you were not working then you should not be claiming points for such work experience even if it is your business.
2 - They don't do skype calls so that's out of the question.
3 - I would recommend not including this period in the work history section and include only the self-employed period from Jan 2009-Dec 2009 in the personal history section (post-ITA). No proof of employment will be required for such period of self-employment.

If you try to claim 3 years of foreign work experience then I can guarantee things won't end up well (unless you are still above the cutoff score without such work experience).
So that means I wont have any points for foreign work experience. I am currently around 431 and I sent my ielts to remark it for writing and speaking. Hopefully I can get some change for ielts result if not, my last resource is to wait for the cutoff to decrease it.