+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign Software Engineer Apply for Work Permit (I already have an Offer)

BlueSky123

Aug 7, 2015
I'm an international student studied in the US and got a master degree in computer science. I received an offer of software engineer in Vancouver. Now I need a work permit to work there. I am now live outside of Canada.

The employer is a very large internet company. The title of the job is Software Development Engineer in Test. The pay is very well, and the company has its own lawyers to handle the immigration issues and provide assistance to me to apply for a work permit. But I am just a new college grad, do not have work experience.

I did some research myself. Seems that I need to pass the LMIA, and then apply for a work permit, and it could takes months. But still I do not know much about the work permit/visa process in Canada.

How likely can I get a work permit/visa for the position in Vancouver successfully? Normally how long it takes to get a work permit for such a position? Is there any risk that the work permit/visa will not get approved?

Can someone give any comments on my case? How easy or hard it is? Any risk? Thank you very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's really no point in discussing the work permit until your employer has an approved LMIA. If the LMIA isn't approved, your work permit is dead in the water.

For the LMIA to be approved, your employer first has to advertise the job for a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role and demonstrate why a foreign worker needs to be hired. The employer then has to pay a $1,000 fee and submit the LMIA for processing. The processing of the LMIA could take as long as four months. It's entirely possible the LMIA may be refused if Human Resources Canada feels that it should have been easy for the company to find a Canadian for the role.

If the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a work permit. Again, no point even talking about the work permit until your employer has an approved LMIA.

BlueSky123

Aug 7, 2015
scylla said:
There's really no point in discussing the work permit until your employer has an approved LMIA. If the LMIA isn't approved, your work permit is dead in the water.

For the LMIA to be approved, your employer first has to advertise the job for a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role and demonstrate why a foreign worker needs to be hired. The employer then has to pay a $1,000 fee and submit the LMIA for processing. The processing of the LMIA could take as long as four months. It's entirely possible the LMIA may be refused if Human Resources Canada feels that it should have been easy for the company to find a Canadian for the role.

If the LMIA is approved, you can then apply for a work permit. Again, no point even talking about the work permit until your employer has an approved LMIA.
Thank you for your information!

So LMIA could take 4 months. If the LMIA is finally approved, then what's next? May I assume that the whole process could take 5 - 6 months? Is it possible that the LMIA is approved but still I cannot get work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BlueSky123 said:
Thank you for your information!

So LMIA could take 4 months. If the LMIA is finally approved, then what's next? May I assume that the whole process could take 5 - 6 months? Is it possible that the LMIA is approved but still I cannot get work permit?
Once the LMIA is approved you can then apply for a work permit. Yes - it's possible (although unlikely) that the work permit can be refused - even though the LMIA is approved. The entire process could take 5-6 months (could also be longer or shorter).

RichardK

Aug 16, 2015
If I am bringing my children (age 4, 6 and 10) to Canada under my work permit, and we will be in Vancouver, can I enrol them to public school?

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
RichardK said:
If I am bringing my children (age 4, 6 and 10) to Canada under my work permit, and we will be in Vancouver, can I enrol them to public school?
yes once you have a work permit