+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

fly to USA and back to Canada

Emily Lin

Aug 8, 2020
Hello friends

Question about regular visitor visa.

My friend is Chinese passport with Canada visitor visa, we know for visitor we can stay in Canada for up to 6 months. My question is, by the end of his 6 month stay, if we do not apply for visitor record, since my friend also have USA visa, can he fly to the USA and come back to Canada so that he will get another 6 month legal stay in Canada? or even can he drives from the land border to USA and drive back to Canada? we are located in Vancouver.

Any advice if this is doable? or Flying to USA and come back to Canada will not get him another 6 month stay??

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello friends

My friend is Chinese passport with Canada visitor visa, we know for visitor we can stay in Canada for up to 6 months. My question is, by the end of his 6 month stay, if we do not apply for visitor record, since my friend also have USA visa, can he fly to the USA and come back to Canada so that he will get another 6 month legal stay in Canada? or even can he drives from the land border to USA and drive back to Canada? we are located in Vancouver.

Any advice if this is doable? or Flying to USA and come back to Canada will not get him another 6 month stay??

Thank you
No one can answer this question of what will happen. Whether he is allowed back into Canada and for how long is always up to the CBSA officer. Generally speaking going to the US and back just to get an additional six months is a bit risky and CBSA doesn't always react well to this. If he wants to stay longer, he is better off applying for the visitor record.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello friends

Thank you
Would add that it is fairly unusual for a working age friend to be able to visit another country for a year or even 6 months so your friend will need to provide proof that they have the funds to pay for their living costs in Canada and have significant savings and explain why they need to visit Canada for so long. There will likely be concern that your friend may be working in Canada unless they have significant savings that they are clearly using to live off of and have a good reason to be in Canada for so long.